Agony of love

Medical doctor Mark Eastman helps us understand an act of love that may make your skin crawl, the likes which have never been seen anywhere, before or since. Read it, shudder, and maybe weep.

Most everyone is familiar with the phrase, “Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.” It comes from the Bible, the words of Jesus Christ. Dr. Eastman gives a medical understanding of how Jesus set such a chilling example, with a scientific medical description of His gruesome, bloody death.

The punishment actually started during His trial, when He was spat upon and beaten. According to Dr. Eastman, this probably caused Jesus’ eyelids to be swollen shut even before the trial was complete.

Immediately after His trial, Jesus was “scourged” (flogged) by the brutish Roman soldiers, an extreme form of punishment. The soldiers used a whip of numerous thongs, embedded with metal, bone or glass. Lash! Lash! Lash! Each lash tore into Jesus’ body. There were typically 39 fleshripping lashes. The skin on His back was horribly shredded, exposing underlying muscle and skeletal tissues. Blood gushed from His wounds. Many victims died from the sheer trauma of this torture. An irreversible process of severe dehydration and cardiorespiratory failure began. A crown of thorns was mockingly placed on Jesus’ head, causing more blood. He was spat upon and beaten more. But that was only the beginning. It gets worse?

The next step: the dreaded crucifixion on the cross. Invented by the Persians between 300-400 B.C. and perfected by the Romans, crucifixion is called “the most painful death ever invented by man.” It is where we get the term excruciating. To humiliate Him, Jesus was stripped naked, then placed on His back, arms stretched out and placed on a crossbar. Nails, about 7-9 inches long, were driven between the bones of the forearm (the radius and ulna) and the small bones of the hands (the carpal bones). This insured that He would hang there until dead, and also to sever the median nerve, the largest nerve in the hand. This severing is a medical catastrophe, causing severe burning pain and the permanent paralysis of the hands.

The positioning of the feet was critical. Jesus’ knees were bent at about 45 degrees and the feet were flexed (bent downward) an additional 45 degrees. Another iron nail about 7-9 inches long was driven through His feet between the second and third metatarsal bones, severing the dorsal pedal artery. This set up a horrific series of events, resulting in a slow, painful death. Knees bent, Jesus now must try to bear His weight with the muscles of His thigh, an impossible position to maintain.

In minutes, the strength of Jesus’ legs gave out, resulting in the weight of the body being borne by His arms and shoulders, causing the shoulders to become dislocated. This causes the arms to be 6-9 inches longer than normal. With the arms dislocated, considerable body weight is transferred to the chest, causing the rib cage to be elevated in a state of perpetual inhalation. Consequently, in order to exhale, Jesus had to push down on His feet to allow the rib muscles to relax. Due to extreme fatigue, He could not do this for long, and as time went on He was less and less able, causing further dislocation of the arms and further raising of the chest wall, making breathing more and more difficult.

The result of this process is a series of catastrophic physiological effects. Because Jesus could not maintain adequate ventilation of His lungs, the blood oxygen level began to diminish and the blood carbon dioxide level began to rise. This stimulated the heart to beat faster in order to increase the delivery of oxygen and the removal of the carbon dioxide. However, Jesus’ body could not deliver more oxygen and the rising heart rate only increased oxygen demand. The process set up a vicious cycle of increasing demand, which could not be met, followed by an everincreasing heart rate.

Jesus’ heart began to fail and the lungs collapsed and filled up with fluid, which further decreased oxygen delivery to the tissues. The blood loss and hyperventilation combined to cause more dehydration. That is why Jesus said, “I thirst.”

Gradually, the combination of collapsing lungs, a failing heart, dehydration, and the inability to get adequate oxygen supplies to the tissues cause the eventual death of the victim. In effect, he cannot breathe properly and slowly suffocates to death. Making the situation much worse, because of the purpose of His suffering, Jesus also experienced the horror of separation from His heavenly Father, and the sins of all humanity.

At three o’clock in the afternoon, Jesus Christ, only about age 33, uttered His last words: “It is finished,” declaring His redemptive work on earth complete. He gave up His Spirit. A soldier stuck a spear in His side, causing blood and water to gush out of His dead body. Jesus may have had a “cardiac rupture,” the bursting of the heart, caused by severe cardiac stress. Jesus may have literally died of a “broken heart.”

(Missing paragraphs due to limitation of the forum)

His act of love was for you. Jesus did not have to go to the cross. He was the Son of God. He did it only because He loves you. He did it voluntarily. If you were the only person on earth, He would have done it just for you. Receive Christ’s great love for yourself today, by faith. Trust in Him. Talk with Him often (prayer). Let Him be the Lord of your life, and obey Him. Do not reject this great love. There is no one like Him. “There is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved” (Acts 4:12). Jesus: “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6).

“He died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for Him who died for them and was raised again” (2 Corinthians 5:15)

source :

khouse.org/articles/1998/113/

** It must have been painful. But coming back from the dead cannot be understood. Why should Jesus (being a god) die? There is no need to die. There is every chance of his survival, as the other two thieves were alive when brought down from the cross. Their legs had to be broken to kill them.

Jesus suffered a lot at the hands of his enemies, as they overtook him and got him arrested, humilated and put on the cross. Even Pilate showed doubt,. He said, “Has he died so quickly?” Also, the water or blood do not gush out of any dead body. And he was seen walking about after a days rest in the tomb. He had the same wounds.

If his heart was punctured then I want to know, how it was repaired? Who repaired that damaged heart inside the body? If that damage to the heart was the cause of Jesus’s death then who repaired that heart?

There are so many problems about Jesus dying on the cross. I sincerely believe that Jesus did not die on the cross at all. He was alive all the time on the cross and in the tomb.**

You believe that Jesus didn’t really die but was only unconscious. But the expert Roman executioners merely thought he was dead.

After a few days in the tomb without food or medicine, the cool air revived him, right ?!

He burst from the 100 pounds of graveclothes, rolled away the stone with his nail-pierced hands, scared the daylights out of the Roman soldiers, walked miles on wounded feet and convinced his Disciples he’d been raised from the dead.

This one is harder to believe than the resurrection itself.

Why me and not the Amalekites & Canaanites? Why am i more special to Jesus? :shrug:

Jesus has given me rest by his sorrow, and life by his death

Who are you ? Who are you ? that for your sake, The Lord should take frail flesh, and die ?

From sorrow, rest.
From death, life.
From weakness, strength.
From ugliness, beauty.
From a lie, Truth.

What wondrous love is this, Oh my soul, Oh my soul ! What wondrous love is this that caused the Lord of bliss
To bear the dreadful curse for my soul, for my soul. To bear the dreadful curse for my soul.

The cross, The Passion, is HOPE…for all our miseries and sorrow, GOD’s Root for the True Life

God’s love for you it is only comparable as the heart of a little child, and yet He is So Powerful

It is not easy to understand this

When I survey the wondrous cross
on which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
and pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
save in the death of Christ, my God;
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to his blood.

See, from his head, his hands, his feet,
sorrow and love flow mingled down.
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
or thorns compose so rich a crown?

His dying Crimson like a Robe,
spreads o’er his Body on the Tree,
Then I am dead to all the Globe,
And all the Globe is dead to me.

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
that were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
demands my soul, my life, my all.

Isaac Watts

Why didnt Jesus give the same love to the Amalekites? Or to those people who were born before 2000 years ago? Humanity had been around for hundreds of thousands of years.

Jesus was God, but he became man (without giving up his divinity) in order to pay the price for our sins. He did not need to die other than the fact that the price of sin is death and though sinless, he paid that price for us.

Just because the thieves took longer to die, it doesn’t mean that he couldn’t have died more quickly. The condition he was in before he was crucified might have been such that he was practically already dead.

Jesus suffered a lot at the hands of his enemies, as they overtook him and got him arrested, humilated and put on the cross. Even Pilate showed doubt,. He said, “Has he died so quickly?” Also, the water or blood do not gush out of any dead body. And he was seen walking about after a days rest in the tomb. He had the same wounds.

Actually there are several clear fluids that could have flowed with the blood from his body. The first is that the pericardium (The membrane that surrounds the heart) might have been filled with fluid (which would have made it harder for the heart the pump and it could have caused Jesus to die more quickly). The fluid is clear, and if punctured by the spear, would have flowed with the blood. Alternately, if Jesus had been dead for an hour or so before the spear punctured his side, the red blood cells and the plasma might have separated which would have then looked like blood and water. Ultimately, even scientists, some of whom doubt that Jesus even existed, generally don’t have a problem with the specific account of Jesus’s death on the cross.

Regarding his walking around 2 days after his death (after the start of his third day in the tomb), even if he survived the crucifixtion, there is every reason to believe that it would have been virtually impossible for Jesus to recover so quickly that he would be able to walk around.

Finally, he still had the marks of the wounds, that is true, but in every real sense he was healed. Indeed his body was no longer like ours, but was glorified; this is why often he was not recognized at first by his closest followers, was able to get into locked rooms, etc.

If his heart was punctured then I want to know, how it was repaired? Who repaired that damaged heart inside the body? If that damage to the heart was the cause of Jesus’s death then who repaired that heart?

The damage to the heart was healed by God. Jesus rose from the dead through his own power as God. The damage to the heart was not the cause of his death; it was done to test to see if he really was dead.

There are so many problems about Jesus dying on the cross. I sincerely believe that Jesus did not die on the cross at all. He was alive all the time on the cross and in the tomb.

Frankly, the theory that Jesus was alive in the tomb after his crucifixion creates as many problems as it solves; how are we to explain how Jesus was able to recover so quickly from wounds that would have been akin to multiple gunshot wounds?

Bill

Remember, Jesus died for the sins of all people. The ones who were born before Jesus were saved by him as well.

As for your reference to God’s commands to exterminate peoples in the Old Testament; one can only speculate. We have to act with limited knowledge, where God’s knowledge is without limits.

Bill

read :

Amalekites

says god is forced to kill a few people in order to save countless more.

ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Incorrect. They were killed while on the cross because their deaths were taking too long. Remember they weren’t subjected to the same torture as Jesus, torture that caused his frail mortal body to die much faster than theirs.

Read it in full

But that’s a pertinent question

Shouldn’t be a good action of LOVE if God killed the little baby Adolf Hitler ?

Could you kill that baby to save billions ?

No its not. The true action of Love is actually stopping Hitler the moment he tries to commit those atrocities.

Do you honestly believe that every single one of those slaughtered Amalekite infants would turn into Hitlers? :rolleyes:

What they needed was Jesus. You know, if Jesus had instead died 4,000 years ago, some of those amalekites would actually accept jesus as lord and savior. Really! Im sure of it! :thumbsup:

At which point, where is free will? For God to stop men from committing evil acts, he would essentially have to turn us into robots. How is that love?

Do you honestly believe that every single one of those slaughtered Amalekite infants would turn into Hitlers? :rolleyes:

Personally, I don’t believe that, but I also believe that death is not the end. While to us is terrible, to God, who sees our lives not just in terms of the life of our bodies, death is harder to see in such harsh terms.

What they needed was Jesus. You know, if Jesus had instead died 4,000 years ago, some of those amalekites would actually accept jesus as lord and savior. Really! Im sure of it! :thumbsup:

And maybe a whole lot fewer people later on. I firmly believe that Jesus came when and where he did, because ultimately it would give the greatest chance to save the greatest number.

Bill

Where is free will when you kill hitler in his infancy? Allowing him to grow up and stopping him after he made his decision to do something terrible…thats free will.

why is that? :shrug:

Some things are inevitable, you never know, you’re not God neither I

We don’t know all the involved variables, perhaps to many

Avoiding Hitler birth, his mother abortion, something like that

Inflict a deadly wound at his infancy, or much later

Take possess on him not allowing his free will in terms of acts and behaviors

You just don’t know

Read the entire article, it is long, but also instructive

No Jesus was quite young and much stronger than any one else. He could not die so quickly within few hours on the cross. Moreover, Jesus should enter the tomb alive and come out alive. That is because he promised a sign to the wicked generation, the same as the sign of Jonas. prophet Jonas was never dead at any time.

Did you not read the medical description of the scourging he underwent beforehand? I think that would have weakened Him significantly don’t you think? The Bible doesn’t say that other two men were scourged.