St. Joseph Edition

What exactly is a ‘St. Joseph edition’ of a bible? I’ve seen some people mention them on here. Why is such an edition called this?

St. Joseph edition is the edition typically associated with the New American Bible

Not necessarily so. I have a DR confraternity bible that is a St. Joseph.
My DR says" This New Catholic Edition of the Holy Scripture is dedicated to St. Joseph.

My bible was printed in 1962
Jeanne

St Joseph edition is the imprint used by one publisher, among many, who has a license from the US bishops to print and sell the NAB, missals and other such books. I think it is Catholic book publishing. Other publishers who have this license include Thomas Nelson, Fireside, most of the Catholic textbook publishers etc. There is no difference in the translation and notes in any of these editions. They do vary in the supplemental content: maps, list of popes, indexes, additional study articles and sidebars and so forth. And of course covers, quality etc. differs. The St. Joseph Edition hardcover (tan or yellow) is sturdy, on good paper, and holds up well in constant classroom use, as intended and often on sale in bulk quantities for under $10, a good deal for parishes. It is my understanding that in the US only LTP has the license to print actual liturgical texts (for use by parishes in actual liturgy) but I could be wrong.

Catholic Book Publishing Co. uses the “St. Joseph Edition” imprint on its bibles and missals. I have a St. Joseph Daily Missal of the pre-Vatican II rite. Would that ICEL had used the English translation therein for the Novus Ordo!

Liturgy Training Publications publishes that dreadful Lector’s Workbook, which I don’t even bother to take from the church anymore. There is nothing in it that is helpful to me. Before the RNAB became the official text for the USA, the Lector’s Workbook, which had to print the 1970 NAB texts, was constantly referring to the overly-inclusive NRSV text as being preferable, almost suggesting the Lector might want to borrow a phrase here and there from the NRSV and substitute it for the approved (NAB) reading.

I have a number of NAB editions, through the years for various reasons, and none have been St. Joseph editions.

The NAB is published by several houses, Catholic Book Publishing being one of them. The “St. Joseph Edition” is something they put out. Catholic Book Publishing only deals in the (R)NAB as far as translations go.

well I have 2 NAB editions and both are St. Joseph Editions. Both released by the Catholic Book company. In fact the one is St. Joseph Medium Size edition. I would suggest that you go to this website

catholicbookpublishing.com/Default.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

You will indeed find St. Joseph editions of the NAB. Why do insist that you are always right and everybody else is wrong? Maybe you have an oxford edition of the NAB, but bottom line there are St. Joseph editions of the NAB

St. Joseph editions in my mind are the best editions for the New American Bible because they are typically much less expensive than other publishers. Consider their large print NAB in paper, it is only $12; Oxford editions of the NAB and other study Bibles of similar scope in various tranlsations will cost around $40. True, they might be made with better quality paper and sturdier covers, but functionally, $12 is a great buy for a modern translation with study notes.

You again are reading unfounded and uncharitable things into what I posted.

I never said anything about anyone being right or wrong.

I simply commented that I’ve had a number of NAB Bible none of which were St. Joseph editions. that’s all. Nothing more, nothing less. I have nothing against the St. Joseph edition. I know my Mom has a copy, still, of the NAB from decades ago that is the St. Joseph edition. Geez, I was just adding a comment, that’s all. I don’t know if the St. Joseph edition o fthe NAB is more or less common, or more or less popular, than others. To me, it doesn’t matter either way. Good grief. Why did my innocent remark prompt such a response?

Sorry that you are offended by others sharing their thoughts, innocently, and that you feel the need to turn everything into personal attacks.