A Ramadan Holiday

• Thread starter Thread starter HagiaSophia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HagiaSophia

A group of Muslims in Florida is hoping school officials add at least one day off to the calendar so students can observe Islamic holidays.

The Tampa chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations made its case to the Hillsborough County School Board this week, looking for Nov. 4, 2005, to be made a non-student day in honor of Eid al-Fitr, a holy day marking the end of Ramadan.

"How can you continue to ignore our needs, our holidays, our interests?’’ 16-year-old Mariam Osman, asked the board, according to the Tampa Tribune.

worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=41953

If the community has a large population of Muslims, the school should allow that holiday to be on the books.

I have no obejection to the day off, what I want to know is how it will show on the school calendar. My daughters school calendars show “Winter Holiday” for the federal holiday “Christmas”. They can have the day, but make sure you call it something like “Diet day”.

I have no problem with giving them a day. You would not even have to add a holiday, just change one they already get like President’s Day, MLK Day or Polaski Day (Illinois). If they want to honor the presidents, MLK, or Polaski they could go to school on that day and spend the whole day learning about them. In Illinois, Polaski Day is a school holiday, yet most of the kids have no idea who Polaski was or what he did.

I don’t have a problem with that. If I were living in a society where Christianity was a minority, I would like to have Christmas off.

Michael C:
I have no obejection to the day off, what I want to know is how it will show on the school calendar. My daughters school calendars show “Winter Holiday” for the federal holiday “Christmas”. They can have the day, but make sure you call it something like “Diet day”.
My last Good Friday was labelled “Spring Equinox Holiday” - I kept looking in the reception area for a statue of Pan to show up complete with incense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back