ACLU Vs Creationism

• Thread starter Thread starter HagiaSophia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HagiaSophia

The American Civil Liberties Union will file a suit today challenging a Pennsylvania school district that teaches alternatives to the theory of evolution alongside Darwinism.

The Pennsylvania ACLU and Americans United for Separation of Church and State have scheduled a news conference for today to discuss the lawsuit against the Dover Area School District, the Associated Press reported. The suit was to be filed in U.S. District Court in Harrisburg, Pa.

On Oct. 18, the Dover school board voted 6-3 to add the teaching of “intelligent design” to its ninth-grade biology curricula. Without identifying who the “designer” might be, the theory of intelligent design says the complexity and order of the universe and mankind suggest the action of an intelligent cause rather than random chance.

According to AP, school board member William Buckingham said he proposed the change as a way of balancing evolution with competing theories that raised questions about its scientific validity.

At the time the new policy was adopted, district officials said they would monitor Dover High School biology lessons “to make sure no one is promoting but also not inhibiting religion.”

The ACLU, however, takes no comfort in that assurance and sees intelligent design as a more secular form of creationism, the biblically based view of the Earth’s origin. As such, AP reported, the legal group says the Dover policy violates the First Amendment Establishment Clause of the Constitution.

According to the news service, two of the three dissenting board members have resigned in protest.

worldnetdaily.com/news/printer-friendly.asp?ARTICLE_ID=41926

OK, remind me again, just whose Constitutional rights are they protecting here? NB: Evolution, as far as science is concerned, is a theory, so is intelligent design.

40.png
gilliam:
OK, remind me again, just whose Constitutional rights are they protecting here? NB: Evolution, as far as science is concerned, is a theory, so is intelligent design.
As far as science is concerned, evolution is both a fact and a theory. Intelligent design is essentially just another name for creationism.

Now, if the school wants to teach creationism and intelligent design along with African, Babylonian, and Lakota creation myths, then they are perfectly free to. However, in science class, they should stick to science.

So by teaching intelligent design the ACLU somehow connects this to the state sponsoring and promoting a religion? I’m not buying it. ACLU is protecting noones civil liberties here.

40.png
Catholic2003:
As far as science is concerned, evolution is both a fact and a theory. Intelligent design is essentially just another name for creationism.

Now, if the school wants to teach creationism and intelligent design along with African, Babylonian, and Lakota creation myths, then they are perfectly free to. However, in science class, they should stick to science.
Don’t get confused here. One can have “facts”, and string them together based on a HYPOTHESIS…and it is a THEORY.

Also, the “facts” that you speak of are not altogether “factual”, because quite a few skeletal “discoveries” were written about by scientists who had FAITH in evolution/darwinism only, therefore bringing a bias toward their own conclusions BEFOREHAND.

I see absolutely NO PROBLEM with teaching THEORY in a science/biology class. “Here it is, take it or leave it, reach your own conclusions, there’s a quiz on friday”

This is an interesting story. Note the last few paragraphs.

biomedcentral.com/news/20040903/04

Sternberg said he was concerned that some in the science community have labeled him and Meyer as creationists. “It’s fascinating how the ‘creationist’ label is falsely applied to anyone who raises any questions about neo-Darwinian evolutionary theory,” he said. "The reaction to the paper by some [anti-creationist] extremists suggests that the thought police are alive and well in the scientific community."

Sternberg has ties to the intelligent design community, but he identifies himself as “a structuralist who has given several papers and presentations critiquing creationism.” He is on the editorial board of the Baraminology Study Group at Bryan College, Dayton, Tenn. Baraminology, a term introduced in 1990, views biological creation as happening instantly, rather than through evolutionary descent. Sternberg is slated to attend a meeting in October entitled “Evolution, Intelligent Design, and the Future of Biology.” The meeting’s Web site describes Sternberg’s talk as an explanation of why “biology is better understood as a product of intelligent design.”

Robert L. Crowther, director of communications at the Discovery Institute, drew a clear distinction “between the scientific theory of intelligent design and creationism.”

“Dr. Meyer is a well-known proponent of intelligent design and that is what his paper is about,” Crowther wrote in an E-mail to The Scientist. “To try and characterize him as a creationist is just an attempt to stigmatize him and marginalize his paper, all the while avoiding the scientific issues that it raises.”
**Meyer said: "I have received a number of private communications from scientists expressing their agreement or intrigue with the arguments that I develop in my article. Public reaction to the article, however, has been mainly characterized by hysteria, name-calling and personal attack." Labels, he said, "are ultimately a diversion."**

40.png
Catholic2003:

There is no such thing as someting being both scientific fact and a theory. Nice try, but it is nonsense.

I think you biases have gotten the best of you here.

The ACLU is simply lashing out against people who believe differently then they do. That is against the 1st Ammendment.

Interestingly enough the pope weighed in with a few comments today:

Science alone cannot offer the full truth about the human condition, Pope John Paul II (bio - news) reminded the university students of Rome.

As he presided at the annual Mass for students, in St. Peter’s basilica on December 14, the Holy Father told them that their work should be a search for truth. “You know very well,” he said, “that it is only possible to discover the final truth about mankind-- the truth about ourselves-- only through a loving regard for Christ.”

The Pope encouraged the students to continue their quest for wisdom, using all the tools of different academic fields. At the same time, he encountered them to make full use of the spiritual resources at their disposal. Especially, during this Year of the Eucharist, he said that in “confronting the Eucharistic mystery, we are led to the truth of our faith, our hope, and our love.”

cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=34005

40.png
HagiaSophia:
Science alone cannot offer the full truth about the human condition, Pope John Paul II (bio - news) reminded the university students of Rome.
Very good point, and one that should be taught in science class.

40.png
Catholic2003:

Evolution ain’t no fact - plenty of scientists that doubt it.

40.png
gilliam:
There is no such thing as someting being both scientific fact and a theory. Nice try, but it is nonsense.

I think you biases have gotten the best of you here.

The ACLU is simply lashing out against people who believe differently then they do. That is against the 1st Ammendment.
Yes - taking more rights away - more evidence of their anti-Christian flavor.

What created the big-bang anyway??

Oh, I’m sorry, if I was a gradeschooler, I wouldn’t be able to ask that and expect an answer…

Catholic2003 said:
Evolution as Fact and Theory by Stephen Jay Gould.

There is no “scientific theory of intelligent design,” because scientific theories can be falsified. This Talk.Origins website lists dozens of ways universal common descent can be falsified.

All scientific theories can have holes poked in them and be falsified. All science can do is put definitions around reality - it can define how the universe came into being. Some of those definitions are agreed upon by large numbers - others are disputed by many. Science cannot create reality and reshape reality to be what someone wants it to be.

Evolution is largely disputed - there is no reason to believe in this theory any more than Creationism - simply because all the school textbooks print evolution is not a good enough reason.

Darwin himself had serious doubts about key components in his theory.

40.png
Brad:
Yes - taking more rights away - more evidence of their anti-Christian flavor.
Tell me again which amendment guarantees the right of school boards to teach bad religion as valid science.

40.png
jlw:
What created the big-bang anyway??

Oh, I’m sorry, if I was a gradeschooler, I wouldn’t be able to ask that and expect an answer…
On that note, scientists cannot explain the quantum leap - the nucleus, per say, of the big bang. Perhaps there was some divine intervention?

40.png
Catholic2003:
Tell me again which amendment guarantees the right of school boards to teach bad religion as valid science.
Tell me again why you believe in this bad religion?

Tell me again why you put “valid” science above the teachings of God?

Tell me again what ammendment guarantees the right of scientists to teach school children disputed science as fact?

40.png
Catholic2003:
Christianity is bad religion?!? :confused: Your **CINO **is showing. 😉

40.png
Catholic2003:
“bad religion”??? Huh??? Science is a STUDY, so the study of “how we got here” should include ALL THEORIES.

No one is proposing we say “Our Father” in biology classes.

Sheeesh!

40.png
Brad:
On that note, scientists cannot explain the quantum leap - the nucleus, per say, of the big bang. Perhaps there was some divine intervention?
Oh, no!! Not thaaaaaaaaaat!!! (Catholic2003: :bigyikes: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back