Best Symphony Orchestra (and conductor)

• Thread starter Thread starter puzzleannie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

puzzleannie

I am sure Edwin joins me in hailing the Cleveland Orchestra, especially under George Szell, but also laud the Chicago Symphony under Sir Georg Solti.

Neville Marriner, he’s the godfather of conducting. St. Martin academy-in-the-fields is a great orchestra.

40.png
puzzleannie:
I am sure Edwin joins me in hailing the Cleveland Orchestra, especially under George Szell, but also laud the Chicago Symphony under Sir Georg Solti.
How did you guess I’d find this thread? 🙂
Yes, I’d have to agree. There are MANY recordings featuring the Cleveland Orchestra and our Classical Music Station WCLV 104.9 is the reason why.
They can be streamlinked @
www.wclv.org

Go with God!
Edwin

Well, shucks, if your’e going to plug WCLV (an excellent station), I need to get a good word in for the WFMT Fine Arts Network:

wfmt.com/

WNIB RIP!

That said, I am not so certain that the NY Philharmonic isn’t the top U.S. orchestra at the moment. Chicago is searching for a new conductor. Any ideas?

is your screen name from the Orchesta, the rock group, the university, or just your place of residence?

40.png
puzzleannie:
is your screen name from the Orchesta, the rock group, the university, or just your place of residence?
“chicago” is my very essence.

BTW, the rock band’s name is just a shortened version of their orignal name (which they got sued over for copyright infringement), “Chicago Transit Authority”.

40.png
chicago:
WNIB RIP!
chicago,

I, too, still lament the demise of WNIB (…and WNIZ in Zion! 😃 ). Wonder what Bruce Duffie’s up to these days…

a pilgrim

a pilgrim:
.Wonder what Bruce Duffie’s up to these days…
bruceduffie.com/

Be sure to check out his “fan page”. He did have a show on WNUR (radio from Northwestern University) for awhile. Checking the site, it looks like he still does. Shame I just missed the Sir Andrew Davis interview. Email Bruce if you like. He’ll probably respond.

speaking of WCLV, glad somebody told my they jumped, used to have bad reception along I-77, better on the East Side, when I finally found it last summer, found I now have bad reception in SE Solon-Aurora area. Am I right it is one of the last privately owned classical music stations in the country?Hey, Detroit Sue et al, what happened to Detroit’s classical music station 101 or 105?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back