Cell Phones in the Sky

• Thread starter Thread starter HagiaSophia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HagiaSophia

Bill Press on that Cell Phone Thing:

…"Second thing about cellular talkers: They’re all deaf. Or maybe they think the people they’re calling are hard of hearing. Either way, all cell-phone conversations take place at a high enough decibel level to be heard across town – without any phone at all. I understand why someone might have to place a call from a train. But why is it necessary for people sitting at the other end of the car to hear every word?

Which brings me to point No. 3: Cell-phone users are also the rudest people on earth. They don’t care about flesh and blood in front of them. They only care about voices at the other end of a phone signal. Consequently, they will interrupt your dinner conversation in order to chat with someone else more important, perhaps sitting in the same restaurant. Who knows? Or they refuse to put the phone down long enough to make a transaction at the ticket counter. Didn’t they read the instructions? Don’t they know they can turn the damned phone off?

Today, once the door is closed, airplanes are about the only place left you can escape cell phones. Restaurants aren’t out-of-bounds. Neither are movie theatres or concerts. Despite warnings from management, some idiot always forgets to silence his phone. Not even churches are safe. One friend told me about attending a funeral where a pall bearer’s phones chirped – and he proceeded to have a conversation in the middle of the eulogy! God save us.

But soon, even the enforced quiet of airline travel may be lost. The Federal Communications Commission and the Federal Aviation Administration are both experimenting with ways to introduce cell-phone usage on airliners – even though European experts blame a cell phone for the crash of a commuter plane in 2000. A passenger took a call at the same time the pilot engaged the autopilot, and the plane went into a fatal dive. …"

"…Ever the optimist, however, I refuse to go quietly. I see at least two solutions to this problem. First, some smart CEO will launch a “talk-free” airline. “Fly the Silent Skies.” Sure, he will be laughed at, just like the first airline to ban smoking was laughed at, but he’ll make tons of money. Sign me up.

If that doesn’t work, I’m ready to take revenge. My big secret, which not even Bob Novak knows, is that I once took accordion lessons. Not only that, I still have my accordion. Once cell phones are allowed on airplanes, I vow never to fly again without my accordion. I dare you: Take out your cell phone, and I’ll unpack my accordion and play “Roll Out The Barrel.” Serves you right."

worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=41980

I hope they NEVER allow cell phones on planes. The cacophany of hundreds of people yapping away, the annoying rings (why would ANYONE insult Beethoven by using the 5th Symphony for a ring tone??), the photos, and all the rest of this experience will make flying even more unpleasant than it is already.

BLECH! Let’s hope it doesn’t happen.

Lisa N

Lisa N:
I hope they NEVER allow cell phones on planes. The cacophany of hundreds of people yapping away, the annoying rings (why would ANYONE insult Beethoven by using the 5th Symphony for a ring tone??), the photos, and all the rest of this experience will make flying even more unpleasant than it is already.

BLECH! Let’s hope it doesn’t happen.

Lisa N
From what I read, the cell phone companies have engaged powerful lobbyists to push this through - profits y’know. I hope it doesn’t happen also. It’s ludicrous.

Very bad idea. The FCC will be asking for public comment on this. When they do, I suggest we tell them what we think of this idea.

all cell-phone conversations take place at a high enough decibel level to be heard across town
Oh so true! Prior to the phenomonon of EVERYONE having cell phones, I considered “call-waiting” to be the rudest. You’re speaking to someone and they say, “hold on, I’ve got another call coming in.” I say, “no, if you want to continue this conversation, you can call me back. I MAY answer.” Why is the unknown caller more important than me?
Now, I put up with people in the lunch room at work yakking on a cell at top decibel. I don’t want to hear anyone’s conversation. Noise, noise, noise. :mad: I think I’m getting old!!

40.png
gilliam:
Very bad idea. The FCC will be asking for public comment on this. When they do, I suggest we tell them what we think of this idea.
The original ban on cell phones was because the towers couldn’t locate the phone – hence couldn’t charge properly. That’s not an issue anymore.

I have two points here – one is that a lot of people fly for business reasons, and good, low-cost communications while in flight would be a boon to them.

The second is, why the he double-hockysticks are we all so fired up about restricting other people’s actions?

vern humphrey:
The original ban on cell phones was because the towers couldn’t locate the phone – hence couldn’t charge properly. That’s not an issue anymore.

I have two points here – one is that a lot of people fly for business reasons, and good, low-cost communications while in flight would be a boon to them.

The second is, why the he double-hockysticks are we all so fired up about restricting other people’s actions?
Because their actions infringe on our pursuit of happiness (i.e., not having to listen to one side of one conversation on our left, and another side of another conversation on our right, for 5 hours straight). If businessmen really want to conduct business converstions on board, let them use chat.

40.png
gilliam:
Because their actions infringe on our pursuit of happiness (i.e., not having to listen to one side of one conversation on our left, and another side of another conversation on our right, for 5 hours straight). If businessmen really want to conduct business converstions on board, let them use chat.
But banning them infringes on THEIR pursuit of happiness.

There is a terrible knee-jerk reaction in this country – every time something new comes up, up goes the cry, “People ought not to be allowed to do that.”

A cell phone rang in church during the priest sermon one day and I screamed. TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF. I swear one of these days Im goign to beat the leaving poop out of one of em.

vern humphrey:
But banning them infringes on THEIR pursuit of happiness.

There is a terrible knee-jerk reaction in this country – every time something new comes up, up goes the cry, “People ought not to be allowed to do that.”
You need to understand your constitutional rights. You have rights as long as your rights don’t infringe on other people’s rights. As soon as you do, you need to get their permission.

It has nothing to do with a knee-jerk reaction. I’ll put you in such an enclosed environment for 5 hours without a phone of your own. We will see what other parts of your body are involunarily jerking after that period of time. 😉

40.png
gilliam:
You need to understand your constitutional rights. You have rights as long as your rights don’t infringe on other people’s rights. As soon as you do, you need to get their permission.

It has nothing to do with a knee-jerk reaction. I’ll put you in such an enclosed environment for 5 hours without a phone of your own. We will see what other parts of your body are involunarily jerking after that period of time. 😉
I do understand my constitutional rights – they don’t extend to banning whatever annoys me.

I’m all for it. Anything that keeps that total stranger sitting next to me from trying to converse with me can’t be all bad!

vern humphrey:
I do understand my constitutional rights – they don’t extend to banning whatever annoys me.
Try playing your radio in a department store so that it annoys the customers and see what happens to your constitutional rights.

40.png
gilliam:
Try playing your radio in a department store so that it annoys the customers and see what happens to your constitutional rights.
Apples and oranges – it isn’t the government which bans playing the radio in the store, it’s the store owners.

vern humphrey:
From the article: even though European experts blame a cell phone for the crash of a commuter plane in 2000. A passenger took a call at the same time the pilot engaged the autopilot, and the plane went into a fatal dive. …"

vern humphrey:
Apples and oranges – it isn’t the government which bans playing the radio in the store, it’s the store owners.
Your right there.

40.png
HagiaSophia:
From the article: even though European experts blame a cell phone for the crash of a commuter plane in 2000. A passenger took a call at the same time the pilot engaged the autopilot, and the plane went into a fatal dive. …"
Precisely how a cell phone can affect the autopilot isn’t explained.

I can see how a cell phone might affect a GPS navigation system, or some other similar system, but not how it can affect the autopilot.

Now, testing is warrented - - and if cell phones DO interfere with avionics, well and good. But just because some folks don’t LIKE other people carrying on business and similar communications doen’t justify the government in banning them.

There are already phones in each row of seats in the plane. It’s just that few people use them because they charge an arm and a leg.

So how is a businessman going to conduct business on a crowded plane if all those around him are also talking loudly on cell phones? Not conducive to productive conversation.

The airlines will probably rent sound-blocking headsets to passengers who prefer peace and quiet, at an additional charge.

40.png
JimG:
So how is a businessman going to conduct business on a crowded plane if all those around him are also talking loudly on cell phones? Not conducive to productive conversation.

The airlines will probably rent sound-blocking headsets to passengers who prefer peace and quiet, at an additional charge.
here is a prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back