Hospital Covers Up St. Luke

• Thread starter Thread starter HagiaSophia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HagiaSophia

The covering-up of the picture of a saint, depicted inside a chapel at Calgary’s notorious Foothills hospital, has brought the ire of local Roman Catholic bishop Fred Henry.

The hospital claims the picture of St. Luke, a physician, is offensive to non-Christians, and has had doors placed over it. A note over the doors explains that any representation of the human form in a place of worship is offensive to both Jews and Muslims. Bishop Henry said the move is ridiculous.

The Foothills hospital gained notoriety in 1998, after nurses charged that hospital staff were committing infanticide. Doctors performing illegal late-term abortions there would later neglect otherwise viable babies that were born alive, according to nurses, letting the babies die. A police investigation that neglected to interview eyewitnesses said the claims were unfounded.

lifesite.net/ldn/2004/dec/04121404.html

I am continuously suprised. Just when I think the lunacy has reached it’s apex, another absurd story like this comes up. Absolutely rediculous.

40.png
jlw:
I am continuously suprised. Just when I think the lunacy has reached it’s apex, another absurd story like this comes up. Absolutely rediculous.
I’m with you; everytime I think we’ve hit bottom, another bottom opens up – perhaps there’s more than one meaning to the phrase “bottomless pit”.

40.png
HagiaSophia:
The covering-up of the picture of a saint, depicted inside a chapel at Calgary’s notorious Foothills hospital, has brought the ire of local Roman Catholic bishop Fred Henry.

The hospital claims the picture of St. Luke, a physician, is offensive to non-Christians, and has had doors placed over it. A note over the doors explains that any representation of the human form in a place of worship is offensive to both Jews and Muslims. Bishop Henry said the move is ridiculous.

The Foothills hospital gained notoriety in 1998, after nurses charged that hospital staff were committing infanticide. Doctors performing illegal late-term abortions there would later neglect otherwise viable babies that were born alive, according to nurses, letting the babies die. A police investigation that neglected to interview eyewitnesses said the claims were unfounded.

lifesite.net/ldn/2004/dec/04121404.html
Evil and good cannot coexist. One or the other has to go. Looks like they chose evil to stay.

I’ve heard people who claim to be Christian, who are very non-Catholic, who condemn the Catholic church for their “worship of engraven images” such as pictures and statues. I try to correct them, but these evangelical-types are very set in their ways, espeically anti-Catholic ways. They’ve made up their minds that if we have pictures and statues, that we are woshipping them, but I think they just don’t understand.

Actually, they in fact do understand the explanation we give for having statues, etc. What we fail to see is their real animus. Having reminders of Mary and the saints are absolutely threatening to fundamentalists because it destroys the basis for private interpretation and sola scriptura. History cannot be endlessly reinterpreted if you have to deal with the real lives and beliefs of the saints.

Jews and Muslims are offended?..As a Catholic I’m offended. Why don’t the Catholics of Calgary speak up? What effect will the ire of the local Roman Catholic bishop Fred Henry have?

Michael C:
Jews and Muslims are offended?..As a Catholic I’m offended. Why don’t the Catholics of Calgary speak up? What effect will the ire of the local Roman Catholic bishop Fred Henry have?
Personally I hope he threatens to remove their “Catholic” status; the tendency today of removing the “source” of true healing, spirituality, is everywhere - we are all gods unto ourselves. Frightening. It is the opening in the path to the antichrist.

40.png
HagiaSophia:
I’m with you; everytime I think we’ve hit bottom, another bottom opens up – perhaps there’s more than one meaning to the phrase “bottomless pit”.
Pit of despair…

Hey, we just can’t let this keep happening. We just can’t!!!

Why is the Church will not pull the plug on these institutions? If they refuse to be Catholic, shut them down!

40.png
TPJCatholic:
Why is the Church will not pull the plug on these institutions? If they refuse to be Catholic, shut them down!
It’s up to the local bishop to take action - let’s see what Bishop Henry does or intends to do and meanwhile a few emails encouraging the good bishop in his pastoral duties wouldn’t be out of order either. Bishops are human - they respond just like the rest of us.

Canada in its incessent need to divest itself of any connection with the U.S. is basically becoming, as Homer Simpson says “Europe Junior.” But, in a much worse scale. There is defacto repression of the Christian faith, just look at their so-called “hate crime” laws. The only good thing about this is that history has shown that repression of Christianity by any government usually results in the expansion of the Christian faith, just look at Red China (yes I meant “Red”) and North Korea.

40.png
oldfogey:
Actually, they in fact do understand the explanation we give for having statues, etc. What we fail to see is their real animus. Having reminders of Mary and the saints are absolutely threatening to fundamentalists because it destroys the basis for private interpretation and sola scriptura. History cannot be endlessly reinterpreted if you have to deal with the real lives and beliefs of the saints.
Thank-you, I had never thought about it that way, but that makes perfect sense. Although I doubt that is the intent of the people I talk to, as I’m afraid I don’t give them that much credit for thinking. Those people are most likely simply parrotting what they’ve heard thousands of times. They are so intent on their way is the right way, the only way, they will condemn anything Catholic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back