Pro Choice: Crosswise with the church, one Catholic family votes with its feet

• Thread starter Thread starter stumbler
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stumbler

NB: Negotiators upset by non-negotiables 😃

This Christmas, Steve and Shayla King won’t be worshipping at Visitation Catholic Church.

The Kings have been attending Mass at Visitation for 30 years. The couple were married in its sanctuary in 1969, and they officially joined the venerable Brookside parish in 1974. Their three kids went to grade school there before going on to Rockhurst. One of those kids married his wife at Visitation in January 1999. Shayla was a Eucharistic minister, serving communion to her fellow parishioners for 20 years. For the past decade, Steve sang in the choir.

The family always planned its holiday celebrations around midnight Mass, Steve King says. “We’d always open with 30 minutes of Christmas music before the service. Some of it was the choir only, and some of it was the whole congregation. Visitation would always hire strings and brass and timpani, and, at some point, if you didn’t have the goose bumps, you knew you were going to get them soon.”

This season, though, the Kings are new members of Country Club Congregational United Church of Christ, off Brookside Boulevard at 65th Street. The small white building with the Christmas-card steeple looks like something Norman Rockwell would have painted. The story of how the Kings ended up there, though, feels like a sad tale of how twisted things have become in the last year, culminating on November 2. . . .

pitch.com/issues/2004-12-09/news/janovy.html

Wow what a sad story. I guess it’s more important to feel “comfortable” than to really consider what it means to be committed to your faith.

They would be VERY comfortable in the UCC FWIW.
Lisa N

"Looking back, Shayla King says, the bishops’ dictates were just their final push out the door. "

"“We’re still hurting over the pedophile priests, the lack of the church’s opening up to women in the clergy, married people in the clergy, gay people, divorce, all those other issues that the bishops and the pope don’t want to seem to deal with,” she says. Steve King says a feeling of “spiritual estrangement” had been building for years.
"

Wait–I’m confused…the article starts off describing how intimately connected this couple was to their parish; how active they were within their parish ministry, but the couple themselves say that they were spiritually estranged.

So which is it?

I suppose it would not be such a newsworthy event to say, “Couple With Long-standing Grudges Against the Magesterium Finally Leave Church.”

I’m reeling. Un…be…lievable.

I must admit, I am in between “Good riddiance!” and “Christ, have mercy on them!!”.

Ok, they have my prayers.

VERY, very sad that Catholics out there have NO IDEA why they are Catholic THEOLOGICALLY.

“Limited” and “slickly maufactured” morality???

Wow.

StephanieC said:
"Looking back, Shayla King says, the bishops’ dictates were just their final push out the door. "

"“We’re still hurting over the pedophile priests, the lack of the church’s opening up to women in the clergy, married people in the clergy, gay people, divorce, all those other issues that the bishops and the pope don’t want to seem to deal with,” she says. Steve King says a feeling of “spiritual estrangement” had been building for years.
"

Wait–I’m confused…the article starts off describing how intimately connected this couple was to their parish; how active they were within their parish ministry, but the couple themselves say that they were spiritually estranged.

So which is it?

I suppose it would not be such a newsworthy event to say, “Couple With Long-standing Grudges Against the Magesterium Finally Leave Church.”

When I skimmed this I thought to myself, perhaps they need to consult with the" 20 Trembling" and talk it through.

40.png
jlw:
VERY, very sad that Catholics out there have NO IDEA why they are Catholic THEOLOGICALLY.
Bishop Chaput noted during the pre-election process that there are many who sit in the pews on Sunday but don’t realize they are no longer Catholic.

40.png
HagiaSophia:
Bishop Chaput noted during the pre-election process that there are many who sit in the pews on Sunday but don’t realize they are no longer Catholic.
Catholic in spirit, Protestant in practice…

40.png
HagiaSophia:
My preference is that they remain true to their beliefs and find someplace where they can express them. We’ll all be much happier.

My parish is filled with people just like them. The celebration of the Mass is an absolute mess with the cast of thousands working as “eucharistic ministers”, the crucifix hidden behind the Christmas tree and the tabernacle put in the coat closet. Confession is virtually non-existent and the kids don’t receive the sacrament of reconcilliation until the 4th grade. All because of the influence of the laity who share these folks’ views who feel that they are holier than the rest of us “non-thinking” Catholics.

I wish them well in the UCC. Like that commercial they made too where people are turned away at the door. That happens all the time in every parish I’ve ever been to.

This is truly sad. They left the Eucharist for the Country Club Congregational United Church of Christ. It’s name says it all.

Elizabeth B.:
This is truly sad. They left the Eucharist for the Country Club Congregational United Church of Christ. It’s name says it all.
Yes it does.

We had some people from our parish leave for the same type reason. They are now going to a more secular Catholic Church in the area… my priest doesn’t hold back on his words, especially when it comes to prolife issues. Well, I feel the way as many have posted, goodbye 👋 … The devil would welcome them with open arms too.

40.png
katherine2:
What a wonderful witness to the faith you are. God bless you.
That would be a lot more convincingly pointed if it came from someone who is actually a faithful witness to Catholic teaching…

– Mark L. Chance.

40.png
katherine2:
Gilliam,

What a wonderful witness to the faith you are. God bless you.
I’m sorry, I’m a litle confused. Are you saying that it is wrong or uncharitible to wish people who do not espouse the teachings of the Catholic faith well on their “spiritual journey” away from the Church that Jesus Christ founded on St. Peter? What do you suggest we do…hold them captive? Krazy Glue them to the pews? What purpose are they actually serving in the Catholic church other than to cause distraction to those who want nothing more than to worship God and live as He has taught for over 5,000 years?

We are all much better off with people who don’t believe in the teachings of the Catholic faith worshipping in a church that is more closely aligned with their selective interpretation of Christ’s teachings.

I posted this the other day on FreeRepublic - the author is Presbyterian, but he sounds Catholic for this article at least and his point is applicable to this thread and dead on target

The Myth of the Tolerant God

This sentance sums up the thesis
The tolerant god is a myth. It is an idol crafted by human hands in the image of individual autonomy and personal choice, the same “virtues” the serpent suggested to Eve as a preferable alternative to servitude to God

40.png
condan:
We are all much better off with people who don’t believe in the teachings of the Catholic faith worshipping in a church that is more closely aligned with their selective interpretation of Christ’s teachings.
Well in the article they do admit to being “spiritually estranged” for some time now, so it appears this was an an oncoming incident waiting to happen If it wouldn’t have been one thing, it would have been another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back