Radical Islam--Christianity

• Thread starter Thread starter Lance
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lance

Osama bin Laden is praising the suicide bombers who attacked the embassy in Saudi Arabia. Christians are getting ready to celebrate the birth of Christ. Radical Islam praises murderers, while Christians worship our God of peace and goodwill. That is the difference between us.

40.png
Lance:
Osama bin Laden is praising the suicide bombers who attacked the embassy in Saudi Arabia. Christians are getting ready to celebrate the birth of Christ. Radical Islam praises murderers, while Christians worship our God of peace and goodwill. That is the difference between us.
yep :yup:

40.png
Lance:
A grossly unfair comparison. You are comparing the crazy fringe of Islam with orthodox Christianity.

40.png
PilgrimJWT:
A grossly unfair comparison. You are comparing the crazy fringe of Islam with orthodox Christianity.
Not so, OBL has many supporters in Islam. His brand of Islam is fast becoming the mainstream and if not stopped will take over the religion in the next 25 to 50 years.

40.png
PilgrimJWT:
Perhaps you can provide us with some stats to shore up your contention?

40.png
Lance:
Not so, OBL has many supporters in Islam. His brand of Islam is fast becoming the mainstream and if not stopped will take over the religion in the next 25 to 50 years.
I fear you are absolutely spot on: where are the many many fatwas disengaging the terrorists from Islam?

Where are the people finding these terrorists, these cells and turning them in?

Where are the mulahs preaching from the mosques demanding the cessation of this kind of “conversion”?

Where are the thundering editorials by prominent Muslims denouncing this?

Yes there are a few hither and thither, but certainly miniscule compared to the numbers and locations of the faith membership.

Witness the plight of the Telegraph reporter in the UK where they are trying to get him fired because he raised a few questions.

Who are all those people in the streets marching and shooting off guns all the time? Who has stopped the recruiting of new terrrorist suicide bombers - who denounces this as illegal, immoral and therefore “excommunicates” those who promote this?

L’espresso running an article reviewing a new book by Roger Scruton, an English philosopher and essayist, formerly a professor at Birkbeck College in London and at Boston University.

Right from its opening lines, the book goes against the canons of political correctness:

“Samuel Huntington’s celebrated thesis that the Cold War has been succeeded by a ‘clash of civilizations’ has more credibility today than it had in 1993, when it was first put forward.”

But what follows is even more abundantly surprising. If the liberty of which Western civilization boasts also includes the possibility of that civilization’s rejecting itself – and Scruton reserves one of his most brilliant chapters to this pervasive culture of rejection – then “this is a matter of a civilization aiming at its own destruction.” Likewise, Islam defines itself not in terms of liberty but in terms of submission, and this submission is also self-destructive. It is the prisoner of a sacred text, the Koran, which will make every Muslim a rootless person so long as it is read outside the context of history and the present. In the preface to the Italian edition of the volume, Khaled Fouad Allam – an insightful intellectual of the Muslim diaspora, Algerian by origin with Italian citizenship – fully attests to this condition of the disappearance of the self, for Islam within modernity. …"

“…“The spectacle of Western freedom and Western prosperity, going hand-in-hand with Western decadence and the crumbling of Western loyalties, is bound to provoke, in those who envy the one and despise the other, a seething desire to punish.”…”

"…Other splendid passages of the book include those that criticize the tendency to create transnational legislation, international criminal courts, and the European Union itself as a superstate, a tendency which is in reality a new “invisible hand of imperialism” and “a political expression of the culture of rejection.” In Scruton’s judgment, only territorial jurisdiction and national fidelity can provide the foundation for a shared and welcoming sense of citizenship, including for the Muslim. In the West, it is the United States that is holding steady this awareness:

“The triumph of America is that it has beeen able to persuade wave after wave of immigrants to relinquish all competing attachments and to identify with this country, this land, this great experiment in settlement, and to join its common defense.”

Roger Scruton, “The West and the Rest. Globalization and the Terrorist Treat,” ISI Books, Wilmington, DE, 2002, pp. 188.

her “the West and the rest,” even amid religious diversity. The Christian faith “tells the Christian to look upon the other, not as a threat, but as a summons to hospitality.”

But at the same time, Christianity imposes the duty of defending those who are under attack. This is because Jesus preached a message of peace, but not of pacifism:

“The idea of forgiveness, symbolized in the Cross, distinguishes the Christian from the Muslim inheritance. There is no coherent reading of the Christian message that does not make forgiveness of enemies into a central item of the creed. Christ even commanded us, when assaulted, to turn the other cheek. But …] he was setting before us a personal ideal, not a political project. If I am attacked and turn the other cheek, then I exemplify the Christian virtue of meekness. If I am entrusted with a child who is attacked, and I then turn the child’s other cheek, I make myself party to the violence. That, surely, is how a Christian should understand the right of defense, and how it is understood by the medieval theories of the just war. The right of defense stems from your obligations to others. You are obliged to protect those whom destiny has placed under your care. A political leader who turns not his own cheek but ours makes himself party to the next attack. By pursuing the attacker, however violently, the politician servs the cause of peace, and also of forgiveness, of which justice is the instrument.”…"

"…As the examples of bin Laden, al-Qaeda, and the September 11 terrorists demonstrate, Islamism is not a cry of distress from the “wretched of the earth.” It is an implacable summons to war, issued by globetrotting middle-class Muslims, many of them extremely wealthy, and most of them sufficiently well versed in Western civilization and its benefits to be able to exploit the modern world to the full. …] With al-Qaeda, we encounter the real impact of globalization on the Islamic revival. To belong to this “base” is to accept no territory as home, and no human law as authoritative. It is to commit oneself to a state of permanent exile, while at the same time resolving to carry out God’s work of punishment …] on his enemies, wherever they are.

"

40.png
HagiaSophia:
Perhaps you can provide us with some stats to shore up your contention?
PilgrimJWT has disagreed with Lance’s opinion which some others here appear to accept as fact.

PilgrimJWT isn’t obligated to prove anything.

40.png
PilgrimJWT:
Please reference all the hundreds of articles that have come out this week from the orthodox wing of Islam condeming Osama’s words.

I’m waiting…

St. James:
PilgrimJWT has disagreed with Lance’s opinion which some others here appear to accept as fact.

PilgrimJWT isn’t obligated to prove anything.
Actually, if you say something that has been shown to be one way, is not true, you need to show an example. So yes, he is obligated. Why wouldn’t he be?

40.png
gilliam:
Actually, if you say something that has been shown to be one way, is not true, you need to show an example. So yes, he is obligated. Why wouldn’t he be?
The original post was a statement of opinion.

It was “shown to be” nothing more than that–opinion.

Why mullahs and others don´t remove from islam and names them kafirs the terrorists that kill people in the name of islam?, because they are following the Quran!, greeetings

St. James:

My original post said:
40.png
Lance:
This is not opinion, it is a fact, no matter how much you dislike it or wish it to be otherwise.

40.png
HagiaSophia:
Code:
     The right of defense stems from your obligations to others. You are obliged to protect those whom destiny has placed under your care. A political leader who turns not his own cheek but ours makes himself party to the next attack. By pursuing the attacker, however violently, the politician servs the cause of peace, and also of forgiveness, of which justice is the instrument."...."
"
This is what bothers me about our Church’s vague mandate that we “work for peace and social justice.” I can understand other parts of the CCC and apply it to my daily life, but how am I to interpret this? Reasonable people can wildly divergent theories on how to achieve peace and social justice.

St. James:

I guess I missed where it was ‘shown to be’ nothing more than opinion. That is what I was looking for, the ‘shown to be’ part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back