P
PLeeD
Guest
Did Clement think the Phoenix was real?
To begin with: well, if he did, then so what?Did Clement think the Phoenix was real?
Actually, it is a form of speech known as an analogy wherein a widely known story is used to illustrate something new that is not easily understood by the intended audience. Since most people in the region were familiar with that story, he used it as an aid in their coming to understand The Resurrection of Christ. You’ll also find that Christ and OT prophets used this form throughout the Bible. It is even used in modern writing.en.wikisource.org/wiki/1_Clement_%28Hoole_translation%29
It it obvious that he did believe the phoenix existed. He used that belief as an illustration of our own resurrection.
I don’t know.To begin with: well, if he did, then so what?![]()
In the historical context, even if Clement thought that the phoenix was an actual bird, that wouldn’t be too surprising. Some writers at the time spoke of the phoenix as if it was real - it was no surprise, since with much of the world remaining unexplored and with the absence of Wikipedia, many folks had ideas of strange creatures dwelling in the remote corners of the Earth, most of whom we would now consider to be mythical. One of the first to write about the phoenix, the Greek historian Herodotus, seem to speak as if it was real as well (Histories 2.73):I don’t know.
I was reading through the book and came upon those chapters. Clement directly ascribed the events of the Phoenix’s life to the work of God. It seemed clear to me that he was speaking literally.
I just wondered if it was commonly understood that Clement thought the Phoenix was real.
Are you also posting under the name Verbum? Take another look at my post and the poster that I quoted and answered.Ignatius;7837007:
Actually, it is a form of speech known as an analogy wherein a widely known story is used to illustrate something new that is not easily understood by the intended audience. Since most people in the region were familiar with that story, he used it as an aid in their coming to understand The Resurrection of Christ. You’ll also find that Christ and OT prophets used this form throughout the Bible. It is even used in modern writing.Verbum:![]()
It it obvious that he did believe the phoenix existed. He used that belief as an illustration of our own resurrection.
Christ is Risen!
Truely He is Risen!
Ignatius,
I think it possible to disagree with me on what Clement might have really believed . . .
That was my thought too. I’ve read about 2/3’s of the way through 1 Clement, and it’s all good solid teaching. But, the Phoenix thing kind of jumped off the page. I glad they didn’t include this work in the bible!I imagine the Phoenix mentioned by him stuck in the minds of those who were in charge of defining the canon.
No doubt the work is extremely valuable, I find tremendous comfort everytime I read from it. It troubled me when I first read it, but over time I have come to realize that the Saints can have had a brilliant grasp on theology while at the same time be wrong on many other things. I don’t plan to consult the Saints on astrology, physics, martial arts, mythology, etc. But when it comes to the Catholic Faith and how to apply it to my life, they are a priceless treasure.That was my thought too. I’ve read about 2/3’s of the way through 1 Clement, and it’s all good solid teaching. But, the Phoenix thing kind of jumped off the page. I glad they didn’t include this work in the bible!![]()