Dear Mr. Wagar,
It seems I have angered you. If so, I am sorry. It was never my intent to anger anyone. I prefaced my thoughts by saying that these were ‘‘my own thoughts, not those of the Church or the learned.’’ I never proffered them as a final explanation. I did not realize they ‘’reeked’’. Nor was I aware that the Catholic church had decided these issues
ex cathedra. Thank you for your explanations.
This argument won’t suffice, in itself, because Paul is not making any form of cultural argument.
I am so pleased to know that you have discerned the true meaning of Paul’s wording.
In fact, he makes an argument that goes back to creation itself…
I guess I missed that part of Genesis. I had no idea that head coverings for women were so deeply rooted. Thanks for the enlightenment.
Code:
(I)t has no rooting in "perceived lack of modesty." The head covering issue goes back to the order of the created universe, and is why head covering have been a tradition of the Church for 2,000 years.
So does this mean that all women who do not wear
hijab in any Christian church today are at the peril of their souls? Please explain to me how this is not cultural? Or, more simply, please enlighten me with the theological explanation of women’s head coverings.
Code:
If Paul appealing to creation themes for **headcoverings** is a "cultural teaching," then the **Catholic view of marriage** must be a "cultural teaching," because Jesus uses the same **style** of argumentation to talk about the indissolubility of marriage.
I had not realized that it was the
’’stlye’’ of an argument that gave it weight and authority! I did warn everyone that I was unlearned, but, until now, I had no idea how badly.
First I said:
IMHO it seems God planned parallel but different and complementary roles for men and women in the psychological and social development of humans (one more aggressive, one more nurturing).…With time and enlightenment social customs and mores evolved to the realization and recognition of women’s equality in all but ** physical** prowess.
And then you said:
No. Men and women are equal in ALL things in terms of intrinsic value, they are NOT equal in all things according to their roles, from a biological nature on up.
You are so kind to explain how far these two statements vary! (Are you sure that you meant to say ‘’intrinsic’’? Have you checked what that means?) Are you saying that men and women are ‘’extrinsically’’ unequal??
Why is my use of ‘’roles’’ so wrong, when your use of ‘’roles’’ is so right?
I sure would appreciate your sharing more of your ‘learning’ with me. How are a person’s ‘’physical’’ attributes so antithetical to their ‘’biological’’ attributes?
Women can be mothers, men can’t.
And this is not a ‘’physical’’ difference in what way?
Perhaps I am also naïve. I should have known, I guess, that any mention of men and women on a Catholic message board must inevitably involve the defense of the position that only men can be priests. I thought the OP was asking why Paul wrote: ‘’Let women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted them to speak’’. I guess I did not realize this must have been a subterfuge to demand that women be made priests.
This reeks of modernist gender role revision, and in the end causes more division among the sexes due to the viewing of genuine sexual differences as a form of “power struggle.” This is a particularly modern, worldly, dare I say revisionist way of viewing things.
Specifically what do you think my ‘’reekingness’’ was trying to ‘’revise’’?
“Male” and “Female” at their essence are also relational terms, as is obvious in observing human sociological behavior.
So you contend that the differences between men and women are, in essence, more ‘’relational’’ than ‘’physical’’?
And ‘’sociological’’ differs from ‘’cultural’’ in what way?
As the “male” relates to the outside in terms of reaching out and self-giving, the “woman” in relational terms tends to receive.
So, if I understand you correctly, in the Bible men are the givers and women are the receivers. Is this right?
As for the “before Christ, might made right” comment, I’m not even going to respond to that.
I guess you do not agree with this either, huh? So you believe that before Christ most groups interacted based on fairness and ethical standards, is this right?
One more question. If the OP’s quote from Paul were meant to mean that women should not ‘’teach’’ in Church, then why does Paul’s very next verse say:
[35] But if they would learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is a shame for a woman to speak in the church.
Just in need of more learning and enlightenment.
Thanks, Nathan! You, too!