1 Corinthians 5: 9-13 JUDGE?

• Thread starter Thread starter john654
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

john654

Hello,With all that is going on in the Catholic Church, what do these verses mean? I am not trying to be controversial. I don’t want to throw everyone out of the church. I just want to know if these verses still apply to the Church. I think it is a fair question. 9 7 I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people, 10 not at all referring to the immoral of this world or the greedy and robbers or idolaters; for you would then have to leave the world. 11 But I now write to you not to associate with anyone named a brother, if he is immoral, greedy, an idolater, a slanderer, a drunkard, or a robber, not even to eat with such a person. 12 For why should I be judging outsiders? Is it not your business to judge those within? 13 God will judge those outside. “Purge the evil person from your midst.”

Peace, Joy, Love, Kindness, Obedience,
John

40.png
john654:
Hello,With all that is going on in the Catholic Church, what do these verses mean? I am not trying to be controversial. I don’t want to throw everyone out of the church. I just want to know if these verses still apply to the Church. I think it is a fair question. 9 7 I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people, 10 not at all referring to the immoral of this world or the greedy and robbers or idolaters; for you would then have to leave the world. 11 But I now write to you not to associate with anyone named a brother, if he is immoral, greedy, an idolater, a slanderer, a drunkard, or a robber, not even to eat with such a person. 12 For why should I be judging outsiders? Is it not your business to judge those within? 13 God will judge those outside. “Purge the evil person from your midst.”

Peace, Joy, Love, Kindness, Obedience,
John
Can you rephrase your question? If you are talking about excommunication of unrepentant sinners, the Catholic Church does just that (Matt. 18:15-18).

When you say “all that is going on in the Church,” please do clarify that.

Unfortunately, all Churches have sinners. You can read every day about Protestant ministers and Catholic priests alike falling into criminal immorality (although the Catholic priests get the front page due to the high standard society has for the Church). You will find, however, that church discipline is ssomething that the Catholic Church has maintained staunchly even to this very day. Unfortunately, many other Churches have not maintained this Biblical precept in matters such as abortion, homosexual marriage, divorce, etc.

As Christians, we are all subject to sin by our nature, and the only hope we have is to constantly repent and hope and trust in God’s promises. As a Church, we rebuke sinners, and we collectively strive to keep each other on the straight and narrow.

You have to keep in mind what else Jesus said:

Matthew 23:2:
Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat:

3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

God Bless,
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back