1 hour fast

• Thread starter Thread starter dhgray
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dhgray

I adhere to the belief that we should not eat at least one hour before Mass. I do this just because it’s just something we do. Can anyone tell me WHY we do this?

Thank you.

40.png
dhgray:
I adhere to the belief that we should not eat at least one hour before Mass. I do this just because it’s just something we do. Can anyone tell me WHY we do this?

Thank you.
yes sir!

catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0184.html

catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0702.html

shouldn’t keep you starving for info… 👍

Thanks for the website. It’s almost as good as this one. Another tool for the ministry.

I have an additional question on this subject. My son is diabetic. Although I try to have him fast 1 hour before, there are times when his blood sugar will drop and it becomes necessary for me to give a mint or a glucose tablet to boost his sugar during Mass. While either (I guess) would be considered medicine, is it ok to go to communion even if it has been less than 15 minutes?

Of course!

Can. 919 §1. A person who is to receive the Most Holy Eucharist is to abstain for at least one hour before holy communion from any food and drink, except for only water and medicine.

§3. The elderly, the infirm, and those who care for them can receive the Most Holy Eucharist even if they have eaten something within the preceding hour.

If it is medically necessary to give the mint or glucose tablet for his health, its quite obviously falls under medicine.

Medicine-n-A substance taken to help maintain a heathful state.

Josh

Is it wrong to chew a piece of dentyne ice before going to mass? I’ve done that a few times before and recieved communion…

40.png
dhgray:

Thank you.
You might want to consider this:
40.png
threej_lc:
… Can. 919 ?1. A person who is to receive the Most Holy Eucharist is to abstain for at least one hour before holy communion from any food and drink, except for only water and medicine.
(It is one hour before Holy Communion, not one hour before Mass. I only point it out for the sake of those who don’t receive Holy Communion when they could. )

40.png
Max:
Is it wrong to chew a piece of dentyne ice before going to mass? I’ve done that a few times before and recieved communion…
Maybe I’m too scrupulous but I thought that chewing gum was like eating a bit of sugar.
But then what if it is sugar-free gum?

Your question gives me a chance to post something I’ve been wanting to post:
Do ya’ll know the origin of the word breakfast ?

space ghost:
On that website I saw this:
“Prior to 1964, the Eucharistic fast began at midnight. On Nov. 21, 1964, Pope Paul VI reduced the fast to a period of an hour.”

Wasn’t there a time between those when the fast was three hours for food and one hour for drink? Is my memory failing me?

Also, for those who think that Latin Mass is the only way to go, do you observe the one hour fast or an older, longer one?

40.png
S_Corda:
Wasn’t there a time between those when the fast was three hours for food and one hour for drink? Is my memory failing me?
You are correct. The fast was reduced first to the three hours for food and one for drink, then to the simple one hour we know today. Your memory (at least that part) is still okay.

On a related note, S_Corda asked about the word “breakfast”. When the norm was to fast from midnight, the first meal of the day would serve to “break” the “fast”.

Hope that helps.

I practice the traditional midnight fast – iow, fast from midnight until reception of Holy Communion. The idea behind it, from what I was taught, is to unite ourselves with Our Lord’s sacrifice, also b/c the Sacred Body of Our Lord should be the first thing to touch our lips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back