10% fish tax

  • Thread starter Thread starter steveandersen
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steveandersen

Guest
I have heard from several sources (about half cynical Catholics and about half skeptical atheist) that the practice of eating fish on Fridays was instituted by one of the Borgia Popes to help out his brother-in-law in the fish business and to charge a 10% tax on the fish to boot

Obviously this is complete bunkum. :rolleyes:
Sounds half Godfather & half daVinci Code

But is there some true story behind this that was distorted to start this rumor?

Anyone know the history of the Friday penance?

I would think it was quite old.
 
I love stories like this - I mean a fast from meat has to be the most inefficient way possible of increasing fish consumption - surely someone keen to help a fishmonger’s business would have mandated the eating of fish instead :rolleyes:

Fraid I can’t help you.
 
Friday was the day Our Lord suffered and from time immemorial the faithful have done penance in honor of His Holy Sacrifice.
 
I have heard from several sources (about half cynical Catholics and about half skeptical atheist) that the practice of eating fish on Fridays was instituted by one of the Borgia Popes to help out his brother-in-law in the fish business and to charge a 10% tax on the fish to boot

Obviously this is complete bunkum. :rolleyes:
Sounds half Godfather & half daVinci Code

But is there some true story behind this that was distorted to start this rumor?

Anyone know the history of the Friday penance?

I would think it was quite old.
Why blame the Borgias? Why not throw in a little antisemitism, and lay it all at the feet of the first pope, St Peter, *who was a Jewish fisherman? :eek:

Oy vey! :rolleyes:*

cf. a similar thread (and others referenced by it): [thread=111189]So which Pope owned the fishery?[/thread]

Upshot: Request a (reliable) source, or a retraction.

“Will snap mackeral for food”,
tee
 
Why blame the Borgias? Why not throw in a little antisemitism, and lay it all at the feet of the first pope, St Peter, who was a Jewish fisherman? :eek:…

that is a good one

i’ll have to use that :rotfl:
thanks
 
Why blame the Borgias? Why not throw in a little antisemitism, and lay it all at the feet of the first pope, St Peter, *who was a Jewish fisherman? :eek:

Oy vey!* :rolleyes:

cf. a similar thread (and others referenced by it): [thread=111189]So which Pope owned the fishery?[/thread]

Upshot: Request a (reliable) source, or a retraction.

“Will snap mackeral for food”,
tee
“We’re through the looking glass here people!” - Millhouse, The Simpsons

And in the tradition of the late, great and lamented Monty Python I hereby declare a session of the good old fish-slap dancing! I have trout and I’m not afraid to use it!
 
I love stories like this - I mean a fast from meat has to be the most inefficient way possible of increasing fish consumption - surely someone keen to help a fishmonger’s business would have mandated the eating of fish instead :rolleyes:
Brilliant reply!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top