3 funerals in one week

  • Thread starter Thread starter triumphguy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

triumphguy

Guest
One was my father in law who died at he hands of cancer.

Another was the father of a grade 10 boy in my school: again a victim of cancer.

The third was the death by suicide of a lovely, lovely grade 12 boy.

Each grabbed me in different ways: my father in law, because he was such a part of our family: my wife’s dad and the kids devoted grandpa.

The father of the grade 10 boy because boys need their dads.

And the grade 12 boy because: there was no reason for him to die. He was talented, loved, healthy, popular, and… probably gay.

He and his family often attended the same mass as my family. We occasionally had breakfast together.

Also I’m the chaplain at the high school where he went, and my pledge is that as long as I am there no kid will commit suicide because they have SSA.

I’m quite a conservative Catholic, happily married and a dad, and I follow the Church’s teaching closely but:

Seeing the raw, un-measurable grief and pain of his parents and family tonight, and the body of this boy in the chapel, tonight I refuse to believe in a God who would not welcome him into paradise.
 
Prayers for you and all who have been touched by these tragedies.
 
Seeing the raw, un-measurable grief and pain of his parents and family tonight, and the body of this boy in the chapel, tonight I refuse to believe in a God who would not welcome him into paradise.
I’m sorry for the loss you’ve suffered, but this seems silly. Are you going to tell the creator of the universe who He should and should not admit into heaven? I hope that’s the grief talking! Suicide is a horrible tragedy and people often try to ascribe a reason to it. This is a mistake because suicide is caused by depression and mental illness. Essentially, it is an act that is beyond reason. The boy you know didn’t commit suicide because he was gay, he committed suicide because he was suffering from mental illness that was sucking dry his ability to hope. We can trust in God’s mercy for him because God knows the state of his soul and what his culpability was.
 
So much pain for so many this week. I’m praying for you and all of those mourning.
 
I am praying for you, and for all who struggle with homosexuality.
 
I am deeply sorry for all of your losses triumphguy and will Pray with you for the repose of each one of their souls and for all those who are in mourning.

It’s been a sad summer for my family and I we had 5 losses this past summer.

What gives me comfort and brings me joy in this most sorrowful times is knowing that people are praying for their souls.
 
I’m sorry for your losses and for the families’ losses.
Your comments about suicide and salvation in your final line.
While also teaching of the gravity of suicide the Catechism says in paragraph 2282
“Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide”. vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c2a5.htm
God grant comfort to the boy’s family and friends, and to your family.
 
How are you doing triumphguy?

We are all Praying for you. :grouphug:

Sorry to go off-topic but I realized I made a mistake I meant to say we had 4 losses this past summer.

Our Lady of Sorrows, please Pray for triumphguy. Amen.

Sacred Heart of Jesus, hear our Prayers. Amen.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top