A Banquet or Sacrifice?

• Thread starter Thread starter bamagirl135791
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bamagirl135791

In catechism, the Mass is called both a banquet and a sacrifice. My dad argues that it is just a sacrifice. Do you consider it one or the other or both? And if you consider it a banquet please tell me why that we say this so I can convince my dad of this.

40.png
bamagirl135791:
In catechism, the Mass is called both a banquet and a sacrifice. My dad argues that it is just a sacrifice. Do you consider it one or the other or both? And if you consider it a banquet please tell me why that we say this so I can convince my dad of this.
It is a banquet because it is the Wedding Feast of the Lamb of God. John the Baptist called Christ the Lamb of God.

It is a sacrafice because Christ our High Priest leads us into the Holy of Holies with His Precious Blood. So be reverant, many a high priest had to be pulled from the Holy of Holies by a rope because they had died. The young priest would tie a rope around the high priest before he entered, so thay they would have a means of retrieve the body. At Mass we enter the Holy of Holies with Christ so please be reverant.

Both. Please hang with me here. I’m typing this as I remember the wording of the consecration at the Mass of the bread and wine.

“On the night he was betrayed, he took the bread, blessed it, broke it and said: Take this, all of you. Eat it. This is my Body which will be given up for you.”

“He took the cup, blessed it, passed the cup to His disciples and said: Take this, all of you. Drink from it. This is the cup of My Bood. The Blood of the new and everlasting covenant. It will be given up for you.”

Throughout the Mass there are many references to His sacrifice.

The Mass is:

A Remembrance
A Meal
A Sacrifice

Vatican2 expressed a desire to accentuate the “love feast” part but it did not say to do it at the expense of sacrifice part as it was interpreted by so many since then hence the Pope’s requirement that a crucifix had to be present during Mass.
In other words it is not just to be a "happy meal."

tom.wineman said:
Vatican2 expressed a desire to accentuate the “love feast” part but it did not say to do it at the expense of sacrifice part as it was interpreted by so many since then hence the Pope’s requirement that a crucifix had to be present during Mass.
In other words it is not just to be a "happy meal."

Pure Gift !! :bowdown2:

St. Paul Center**The Lamb’s Supper: The Mass and the Apocalypse **
(Scott Hahn with Mike Aquilina in the EWTN series on Scott’s book, The Lamb’s Supper.) The episodes in the series include:
**- The Lamb of God
God Bless You,
Shalom,

Catherine

Eucharist is from the Greek meaning thanksgiving. So what we have is a Sacrifice of Thanksgiving.

40.png
bamagirl135791:

It’s both. That is what a banquet of communion with a god is - it involves a sacrifice of some some kind.​

That is what pre-Christian religions are for. That is what banquets are for. That is what food is and drink is for. They are for the eschatological Messianic Banquet of communion with God - AKA the Beatific Vision. And the Eucharistic Liturgy, AKA the Mass (at least in the Roman Rite) is a foretaste of this.

It look foward to it, and backward to the Sacrifice of the Cross. The Last Supper, Institution of the New Covenant, & Passion, are all combined in the Eucharist, and all are fulfilled and transcended in the Messianic Banquet. That is why there is no Mass in Heaven: it is not needed, any more than faith or hope is.

And that is why the Messianic promises are fulfilled in Christ, and why no renewed Davidic Kingdom is needed, such as the Premillennialists look for: for Jesus Christ is that Kingdom, that Kingship, and that King. He does not look like any of that - but this is because He is “better than” what was promised. This can be developed in all sorts of intersting and fruitful ways…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back