A christian view for pediatric gynecology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you talking about patients under 21 years?

Very young children rarely need gynecology services, but as kiddos reach puberty they might.

For instance, problems with menstruation or STDs

There are many legitimate reasons why a child or adolescent might need to see a pediatric gynecologist, including birth defects, injuries, illnesses, and early onset of puberty. The field in general is necessary and not a problem. I would note that “pediatric gynecology” field often seems to involve treating teenagers as well as children and tweens, and it’s pretty obvious that by the time girls hit their teens many if not most of them will need to see a gyno.

Obviously if the doctor is offering services not permitted by Church teaching, such as abortion or transgender surgery for children and adolescents, then it’s the particular services being offered that are the problem, just as if a gynecologist for adults offered the same services.

Last edited:
I don’t understand what your concern is. Can you explain further?
Yes, why would medical services somehow be inconsisted with Catholic teaching? (assuming it’s not a type of service like abortion that goes against Church teaching, of course)

Catholics don’t forbid people, including minors with a gynecological issue, from seeking medical treatment when necessary. In fact we encourage it.

Last edited:
Yes, why would medical services somehow be inconsisted with Catholic teaching? (assuming it’s not a type of service like abortion that goes against Church teaching, of course)

Catholics don’t forbid people, including minors with a gynecological issue, from seeking medical treatment when necessary. In fact we encourage it.
The only thing I can think of is he’s somehow sexualizing it and conflating it with pedophilia. 🤔

Pediatric gynos sometimes give a lot of advice on birth control and sex to young people as well, so maybe there is a concern about young people getting encouraged to have premarital sex.

However, that’s not a reason to avoid going to the gyno if you have a medical issue that needs addressing.

Pediatric gynos sometimes give a lot of advice on birth control and sex to young people as well, so maybe there is a concern about young people getting encouraged to have premarital sex.
I thought of that too, but since the OP specified pediatric gyno, the age factor must be involved somehow. Premarital sex, abortion, transgenderism etc are all equally off limits for adults, so… 🤷‍♂️ I have a feeling this is going to be one of those threads where the OP tosses out a weird question and never comes back to clarify.

Yeah, I’ve noticed “pediatric gynos” on the web defining their practice as pretty much including everybody under age 18. Obviously the needs of a 17-year-old in this area are going to be different from the needs of a 6-year-old.

Unfortunately, it’s a sad fact that a lot of children who are pre-puberty do have gynecological issues needing treatment that are often consequences of child sexual abuse.

Last edited:
Yeah, I’ve noticed “pediatric gynos” on the web defining their practice as pretty much including everybody under age 18. Obviously the needs of a 17-year-old in this area are going to be different from the needs of a 6-year-old.

Unfortunately, it’s a sad fact that a lot of children who are pre-puberty do have gynecological issues needing treatment that are often consequences of child sexual abuse.
Right. I imagine that most routine exams of the genital area are done by a pediatrician in the course of a normal exam. I assume that pediatric gynos are only brought in when there is some special concern, like a birth defect, trauma to the area, etc.

Mine is just anecdotal, my husband was hospitalized when he was about 10.

A young girl hospitalized at the same time had a rare form of ovarian cancer. Her mother told my mother in law.

Often they work with pediatric urologists in the same practice.

Plenty of health reasons (physical, genetic, hormonal) lead females under the age of 18 to require certain treatment, surgical intervention (diagnosis or otherwise), and checkups.

Not all gynecologists are obstetricians. The issue of pregnancy is above and beyond basic gynaecological issues that a female of any age may have.

Also, while there are many gynecologists that are also obstetricians, just because they see a patient at their clinic doesn’t automatically mean the female is pregnant, capable of pregnancy, or even planning pregnancy nor does it mean the female is sexually active.

If this is about a female/male gynaecology issue: not all female gynecologists are good at listening to their patients. Sometimes the male doctors take issues much more seriously. The reverse can be experienced by others.

While it’s true what you said about female and male doctors, many young girls are just coming to terms with their sexuality and may be more comfortable with a woman doctor because they are embarrassed being examined by, or talking about their private parts with, a man.

This is not the perspective I was addressing though, which is the patient’s/parent’s decision.

I was merely speaking on the legitimacy of having male doctors in that specific field. Just because they are in that field, doesn’t mean they care less than female doctors.

As a female, I completely understand what you are saying, and I also see that I have a choice in who my doctors are. Patients should always have control over that from all fields.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back