A confused mom

• Thread starter Thread starter mkw
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mkw

When I was an Atheist, my 11 yr. old son was non-stop trying to get me to believe in God. He attended a neighborhood Baptist Church at the time.

Now that I found my way home to Holy Mother Church (praise God), he has pulled away from believing in God and, although he attends Mass with me, he says he just does this to make me happy and does not feel the need to attend any church and could care less about God anymore.

I don’t understand whats happening. Could someone a whole lot smarter then me help me understand this please?

Hi mkw, First be assured that confusion does not come from God. Seeds were planted in your son while attending the Baptist Church.I believe your son might be angry at you for the fact He no longer goes there. Have you discussed his feelings about this situation? It is a completely different enviroment between the rcc and the baptist church. Maybe he doesnt feel loved now. Talk to him and talk to God so that you may recieve wisdom on how to deal with this situation. God bless you. :confused:

40.png
mkw:
Dear mom,

Children learn by what we do and not what we tell them to do. For most of his life you thought him not to seek God. All you can do now is to pray for his conversion as long as it takes. As a mother you should already be praying for him every day. I am not surprised the Protestant Church failed to keep him. But don’t nag him, if he accompanies you to mass; accept it graciously, but never put religious pressure on him. Part of his problems are developmental, he is at a difficult age that can be challenging to both child and parent. Set a good example and pray. Even if you have to go to your grave praying, keep praying. God and life will do the rest.

I agree SPOKENWORD, his former preacher told him that Catholics are “hell bound” :eek:

I did ask him why he disliked the Catholic Church so much. He told me that he did not care that the RCC taught the fullness of the faith, and even though the Baptist Church only taught part truth, he had more “fun” there.

My patron saint is St. Monica, ( for obvious reasons 😃 ). I LIVE my faith to the best of my present abilities (could always be better though) and I pray daily for him. He goes to Mass every Sunday and is even in the Youth Choir. He just shows no interest in practicing the faith. 😦

I will never stop praying for him.

Mkw. If I may pass on a few of my recommendation [you might be doing them already]. I would pray with him every night at bedside. I would pray over him every mourning before you see him off to school. I would just soak him in prayer and love him unconditionally. I did this with my son since he was a baby.Hes now 23 ,doesnt go to church but he does know God is real. Whenever he is sick he will always come asking for prayer. Now he is in Gods hands and I still pray for him every day that one day he will submitt his will over to God. For God is in control. God Bless

Ashamed to say, that although we pray at bedtime, its not every night. I pray the Rosary often with Mother Angelica, he just leaves the room. But I know HE HEARS.

After the holidays, I am having my home Enthroned to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and Consecrated to the Blessed Virgin Mary. Maybe, just maybe the Holy Spirit will touch his heart. This I pray everyday.

Dear mkw:

Be grateful he goes to Mass and is in the youth choir. Little seeds ARE being planted whether you can see them now or not!!!

As a convert (in RCIA presently) hubby and kids still go to the Protestant Church most of the time, with me occasionally. My children say “they will never be Catholic”…and hubby says nothing. It’s great your son goes with you to Mass. Thank the Lord for this every day.

You might not think an 11 year old has the capability of understanding much, but explain it to him anyway WHY you’ve chosen the RCC. He’ll always remember it!!!

SpokenWord’s advice could indeed be excellent. My friend always told her atheist coworker she was praying for her, and one day (after much time passed) the atheist asked my friend for prayers. Pray little (really short) prayers about having a nice day at school or something. I don’t have a child, however, so you know best!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back