A cult of personality?

• Thread starter Thread starter StrawberryJam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StrawberryJam

I was informed that I could not possibly have a priest that has been practicing at a parish for as many years as he has. When I asked why they would think it would be impossible, I was told there were limits to the length of service in a parish in order to prevent a cult of personality.
If that is true, then why would the Archdiocese allow a retired priest to serve at the same parish he has been at pre retirement over two decades?

I was informed that I could not possibly have a priest that has been practicing at a parish for as many years as he has. When I asked why they would think it would be impossible, I was told there were limits to the length of service in a parish in order to prevent a cult of personality.
If that is true, then why would the Archdiocese allow a retired priest to serve at the same parish he has been at pre retirement over two decades?
No idea, and never heard of this rule. But if it exists maybe it’s not 100% hard and fast rule and exceptions happen. Maybe he’s not the lead priest so has less of an impact personality wise?

If the Archbishop had any concern about the priest’s nature he might make a different decision. We can take the fear of ‘cult of personality’ too far
The Archbishop is probably aware that the priest is generous enough to keep serving and that he is a good and trusted priest.

In nearby parishes there are several priests over 80. They don’t have to serve at their age. It is only kindness to allow them to remain amongst people who know them.
Retired priests often remain in a parish for many years after retirement, and why shouldn’t a dear kind old priest remain in familiar surrounding in his old age. 🙂

There are always those who are sad when any priest leaves however short a period. It’s life. We become fond of people. We trust people. People come, people go.
A priest can be in a parish for a couple of years, and be missed dreadfully when he leaves.

The elderly priest will be missed when he passes away, but so are most priests who humbly and generously serve as good shepherds for a brief period within a parish. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back