A few questions about procedures after cremation

• Thread starter Thread starter angell1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

angell1

i know the vatican has prohibited keeping ashes at home in lieu of burial, just on display, but is a person allowed to keep ashes in their home temporarily? for example, if there is a delay to wait for a funeral mass or burial, or what about having to travel with them, for example, if someone passes far away from home and has to be buried back at home, is there some kind of transport policy or do you just have to carry them with you?

have never been able to find any procedures for these kinds of things.

also are catholics allowed to be buried in non-Catholic cemeteries? or vice versa, non-catholics in catholic cemeteries?

also are catholics allowed to be buried in non-Catholic cemeteries? or vice versa, non-catholics in catholic cemeteries?
Yes, a Catholic can be buried in a non-Catholic cemetery. My grandparents are buried in a municiple cemetery because my grandfather worked for the City. He was offered a good deal on mausoleum space, with no interest and paid for through pay-roll deduction. It was bought and paid for 15 years before he died.

As far as a non-Catholic being buried in a Catholic cemetery, it can and does happen, usually a non-Catholic spouse.
I do imagine though, that it may vary based on local laws.

Last edited:
I’d not keep cremains at home. I personally have found a box of someone’s cremains in with other stolen things in a car (the trunk of MY car after the same thieves stole it, wrecked it, and it was recovered). The funeral home will store them for you, you could put them in a safe deposit box, until burial can be arranged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back