A good Catholic Prayer Book

• Thread starter Thread starter Shiann
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shiann

I worked in a nursing home for a time, and a resident there had a Catholic prayer book. I thumbed through it one evening and was moved to tears at the beautiful prayers and devotions it contained.

When I went to purchase one at my local catholic book store, I was surprised at the number available.

I was wondering what other Catholics think is the best book in this category.

I would like one that is fairly comprehensive (no pocket versions, etc.) And one that is leather, or otherwise adequately bound for extensive wear and tear.

The edition I paged through had a beautiful forward and was quite old.

Thanks for any advice you might have!

Since you liked that one so much why don’t you call the nursing home and get the book info?

Father John Hardon’s Catholic Prayer book is my favorite, has all the traditional prayers, litanies, meditations, many in latin. I have momentarily forgotten the company that now markets his catechetical materials, somebody out there help me. The put a flyer in the National Catholic Register from time to time. It is pocket size, lovely leather binding, nice type face & paper, a pleasure to use.

If you are looking for a prayer book for beginners, especially teens or young adults “Appointment with God” by Fr. Michal Scanlan, chancellor of Franciscan University of Steubenville, is a great book, not so much a compendium of prayers (altho the university press does have a Franciscan prayer book that is terrific) as how and why to pray, nuts and bolts advice.

40.png
Jenlyn:
Since you liked that one so much why don’t you call the nursing home and get the book info?
Well, I looked at the publishing information on the book itself but have been unable to find a copy. It was a VERY old book, and I’m sure the company has updated the edition, if not several, times.

I am going to be up there visiting and will check again to see if I can see any other distiguishing information. 🙂

40.png
Fidelis:
This is the one I carry:

The Handbook of Prayers
scepterpublishers.org/product/index.php?FULL=165

This edition is really beautiful and many people have admired mine. In addition to the description given, it has gilded pages and parchment type paper. This one is black, but the copy I have has a burgundy cover. Catholic Answers also offers a less expensive (soft cover) version of the same book:

shop.catholic.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-B0134.html?E+scstore
That is a beautiful book. Thanks for your advice! 👍

Fr. Handon’s book does look good, and he is such a prolific writer, I believe I’ll try to find his.

Thanks everyone!

Let me add another vote for the one from Scepter publishers edited by James Socias. It’s small and got just about everything. It also has them in Latin.

Scott

Scott Waddell:
Let me add another vote for the one from Scepter publishers edited by James Socias. It’s small and got just about everything. It also has them in Latin.

Scott
“Ditto” … This is my favorite too!
Annunciata:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back