M
mwscott
Guest
So, I was explaining to a friend of mine how the election of the Pope works. After I was done explaining he asked me what would happen if the man elected was not already ordained a Bishop. I simply said that he would have to be ordained before the Papal Inauguration. I was not satisfied with my own answer so I did some research.
UNIVERSI DOMINICI GREGIS (ON THE VACANCY OF THE APOSTOLIC SEE AND THE ELECTION OF THE ROMAN PONTIFF) says,
Also, must the ordination be within a Mass?
UNIVERSI DOMINICI GREGIS (ON THE VACANCY OF THE APOSTOLIC SEE AND THE ELECTION OF THE ROMAN PONTIFF) says,
- After his acceptance, the person elected, if he has already received episcopal ordination, is immediately Bishop of the Church of Rome, true Pope and Head of the College of Bishops. He thus acquires and can exercise full and supreme power over the universal Church.
I assume then that the elected man must first accept his election and choose a name, then he must be ordained. So, do they burn the ballots after he accepts but not make the traditional announcement (“Habemus papam”) until after his ordination?If the person elected is not already a Bishop, he shall immediately be ordained Bishop.
Also, must the ordination be within a Mass?