A possible career Teaching Apologetics

• Thread starter Thread starter Atreyu
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Atreyu

Some background - I am a 25 year-old theoretical physics PhD student, engaged to be married in late 2007, after I have hopefully finished my PhD. My fiancée will by then have finished her medical degree. Therefore I will begin to look for full-time work in early 2008, when my then-wife will be beginning her intern year. As she has a very good idea of what she wants to do with her career, and as I have little to no idea what I want to do with my career, I have decided to fully support her in her career opportunities. What this means is that we might have to move away from my home state probably in 2009, as the residency programs that she wants to get into are all interstate. This means I am somewhat hamstrung in what career I can get in to, as I will only be in this state for the first year of that potential career.

Anyway, one of the options I have been considering recently (and I used to be vehemently opposed to this idea) is high school teaching. I think if I did a one or two year teaching degree at the end of my PhD program, that I would be pretty employable and have no troubles getting a place at a Catholic high school. The advantage for me in this is that I would be able to teach apologetics to the students, and have some kind of (hopefully good) influence on young Catholics. This is quite appealing to me.

However, I still can’t get past the idea of teaching. It’s something that I’ve never ever wanted to do. The good thing is that I think this might be applicable only to kids - I don’t want to teach young people! I have lectured and tutored a bit at my University, and I have even enjoyed that somewhat.

And so last night I had an idea that I thought may be worth pursuing. I wanted to ask here what people think, because it could be a bad idea right from the start and so not worth my time. I don’t know. Anyway, I had the idea that I could teach Catholic high school teachers about their faith. I’m not sure how I could go about doing this, but my goal would be to increase the faithfulness and zeal of the Catholic teachers themselves. The desired effect would be for those teachers to pass on that faithfulness to their students.

Like I said, I only came up with this idea last night while I was struggling to get to sleep. Initially I really like the idea though. If people here think that I might be on to something, then I’ve been thinking I could get in touch with the University chaplain (who happens to be quite an influential priest) or even the archbishop himself (my Dad knows him quite well I think), and see what they think.

So what do people think of my idea? Is there anything like this already in place?

I like it. I think it could be a good program for a diocesan education office or some university. Maybe even for as a private contractor. Might be a good thing for teachers to take advantage of on “in-service” days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back