A prayer from a gay christian

  • Thread starter Thread starter CJS
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CJS

Guest
Divine Lover,
voices other than my own
dictate what is sin to me.
Yet much they label “sin”
my reason and my feelings
do not label so.
And much they consider innocent
my mind and my heart
find more abhorrent.

Why do I trust others voices
rather than my own?
I fear my own delusion, yes,
But what of theirs?
Why do I consider them objective,
even in scripture?
Both scripture and society
have their own axes to grind.
Why should I be ground up with them
As Paul reminds us,
if I partake with thankfulness,
Why should I be bound to another’s scruples?

Why is enjoying sexuality a sin?
And considered worse
than wasting time or talent,
worse than acquisitiveness
Of things of power,
worse than betraying friendships,
or denying love?
Why do I give ear
to these stern task
masters?

Oh holy Lover,
bolster my self trust,
increase my confidence in my own perspective,
help me listen to the heart and mind
You have given me
as I follow the guidance of your Spirit,
as I learn from the Embodiment
of your love for me.
Amen.
From Coming Out to GOD
Prayers for Lesbians and Gay men, Their Families and friends.
God Bless
Peace
 
Interesting prayer, but I’d offer a few critiques:
Why do I trust others voices
rather than my own?
Well, we are fallible. “Lean not on your own understanding” - Proverbs 3:5
Yet much they label “sin”
my reason and my feelings
do not label so.
Interesting idea, but doesn’t everyone say that? Everyone believes they’re right (Democrats, Republicans, Communists, Planned Parenthood, slave owners, Atheists, Christians…) We can’t be sure we’re right just because “our reason and our feelings” tell us so.
 
Last edited:
Why is enjoying sexuality a sin?
And considered worse
than wasting time or talent,
worse than acquisitiveness
Of things of power,
worse than betraying friendships,
or denying love?
Why do I give ear
to these stern task
masters?
God made us NOT in order to give us a few years of mere pleasure, but to give us a few years to come into first wisdom, then Truth, then obedience to Truth - and then, we are on the threshold of the Kingdom of Heaven, where He stands. Make the most of the time, friend, for the days are evil, and brief.
Eph 5:15 Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise,
Eph 5:16 making the most of the time, because the days are evil.
Eph 5:17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.
 
That’s not a prayer. That’s just a a long speech in which you are trying to get God’s approval for what you want to do.
 
That’s not a prayer. That’s just a a long speech in which you are trying to get God’s approval for what you want to do.
Agreed. The whole prayer is not a “Thy will be done”. It’s a “My will be done”.

It’s not somehow special because it’s about being gay. One could make the same prayer if one was trying to justify leaving one’s spouse for another relationship because you “fell in love”.
Or justify having heterosexual sex outside marriage.

As such, it’s a grossly inappropriate prayer, IMHO.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top