A question about bypassing Purgatory

• Thread starter Thread starter FuzzyBunny116
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FuzzyBunny116

After learning some about indulgences, and promises of various prayers etc (I’ve seen a few devotions-One to the drops of blood Jesus’ lost, and I believe the Divine Mercy and Rosary) that send a person to Heaven without going to purgatory, I’ve got to know-if someone goes through that path, how do they get into Heaven since they’ve never been cleansed in Purgatory? Is it like an insta-cleaning? Or am I really missing something?

i don’t know a whole lot, but the way i understand it is thet to enter into heaven, one must be cleansed of all sin and worldly desires. i (me) think that purgatory (the cleansing) can happen here in the world through suffering, or in literal purgatory. but to enter heaven, one must be limpio. i know that there is such suffering as to make one want to die. …

I don’t think we can ever know how bypassing Purgatory may work. We do know that in order for that to happen we must completely love God, and to do that we must be without sin and have no attachment to it.

matt

There is nothing lacking in the merits of Christ. They are so infinite that not only do they wipe out our eternal punishment, but even our temporal debt as well. Hence, the Church’s teaching on indulgences.

If one were to receive a plenary indulgence for himself, and then die shortly thereafter, the indulgence would have made satisfaction for any temporal debt. Hence, purgatory is no longer needed.

The difficulty in obtaining the plenary indulgence lies in the requirement that one be free from all attachment to sin, even venial sin. Rarely do we have such pure detachment, that most of the time, the indulgence will be partial.

40.png
porthos11:
The difficulty in obtaining the plenary indulgence lies in the requirement that one be free from all attachment to sin, even venial sin. Rarely do we have such pure detachment, that most of the time, the indulgence will be partial.
There’s the rub. To be free from all attachment to sin would mean that, everything being equal, our souls are prepared to enter into eternal life with the Lord. The indulgence makes up for the temporal punishment incurred, but it cannot fully prepare the state of our souls like Purgatory does.

Of course an impure/improper mind can null this, but if you go to Confession, then **immediately **to Mass, the **immediately **read the Bible for an hour (don’t even go home - do it in the Church), you have a chance…

Hello-

I’m not sure bypassing purgatory is is the question for most anymore, but rather how to even make it that far!

JXM

40.png
JXM:
Hello-

I’m not sure bypassing purgatory is is the question for most anymore, but rather how to even make it that far!

JXM
Only by God’s grace. Remember God never stops supplyng us with actual graces for us to remain in sanctifying grace. You will “not make it” only when you willfully reject God’s grace. I’m pretty sure you don’t will that and I’m sure you continually strive to remain in that grace. No one goes to hell surprised.

Very important, never despair. Therefore, such a question as posted is something I refuse to ask: “Will I make it?” because it has just a touch of despair in it, as if everything depends on me. I simply tell myself, “I will respond to his grace, and remain in the hope that I will die in a state of grace.”

Correct me if I’m wrong, but all souls experience purgatory, whether for a second or for many years. To the best of my knowledge, the Church teaches that only the souls of martyrs bypass purgatory and go straight to the altar of God.

Thal59

40.png
Thal59:
Correct me if I’m wrong, but all souls experience purgatory, whether for a second or for many years. To the best of my knowledge, the Church teaches that only the souls of martyrs bypass purgatory and go straight to the altar of God.

Thal59
Again, not if you gain a plenary indulgence and die immediately thereafter. The plenary indulgence wipes away ALL temporal punishment due to sin, and that includes purgatory.

If you gain a plenary indulgence, it means that you were free from sin and all attachment to sin, and you die at that point, you would by-pass purgatory because no cleansing would be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back