A riend heard a voice speak to her at Adoration!

• Thread starter Thread starter timmyo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

timmyo

Our parish just inaugurated a 24 hour adoration chapel. A friend of mine went to the chapel and was reading a spiritual guide written by a Franciscan monk at the time, in front of the eucharist, and audibly heard a voice tell her “let go, and I will guide you”. She looked down and saw a brown or black robe next to her. When she looked up no one was there. She said that she wasn’t scared, but felt very good about what happened. She is a good, sane and responsible woman. However, her life has been very difficult recently in that her husband died 1-1/2 years ago, she is raising 2 young children and is having trouble with the former husbands family. What does everyone think of this? Do you think it was the monk or even Jesus talking to her? Could the devil ever pull a trick on someone, even in an adoration chapel? Should she talk this over with a priest? I can’t wait to hear your replies.

I would talk to a priest about it.

There are a few possible explanations, but it IS possibly supernatural.

She should be cautious about it, but if it doesn’t hurt her spiritually, and it helps her…it can be a good thing regardless of its origin.

Letting go is good advice.

I cannot imagine something evil happening in the presence of Our Lord, but then again I am not learned enough in the area of the mystical to give a valid opinion on this topic.

I think your friend should talk to her priest - and perhaps familiarize herself with some of the lives of the more mystical of our saints. I have always been impressed by the fact that in most of these cases, the priest is (rightly) cautious enough to tell the person to ignore the aparition. The saints have usually done so, only to have Jesus or Mary be more forceful - if that is the right word - in contacting them later.

What is impressive about this is the saints are always demonstrating the spiritual axiom of obedience to the authority of the Church - and Jesus and Mary are NEVER displeased with this demonstration.

Am I making sense?

As the great mystic St. John of the Cross wrote: ignore it. If it is from God, the soul will not be able to prevent the effect the locution was intended to have. And if it was not from God, then no harm will be done by ignoring it altogether.

In other words, if God did it, His message will be “burned” into your friend’s soul even if your friend does not ever think about it again.

Mike

My first thought is to look for Alec Guiness . . . Stars Wars episode IV, “let go. use the force, Luke” . . . jedi robe . . . get it??

OK, more seriously . . . I wouldn’t ignore it. There’s a way she could respond to what happen and still be very safe and beneficial spiritually.

Jesus taught us to stop worrying and striving. Often in life, problems and life issues are constantly filling our minds and hearts with fear and anxiety. The Lord’s call is toturn these things over to the Lord and pursue Him. As we do this, He’ll take care of those things we’re worrying about - Matt 6:33.

Since your friend was sitting before the Lord, I would take this message as an invitation to her to continue to do that while turning over all of her anxieties to Him - the “let go” part. She should literally speak each of her worries and tasks that are before her asking God to handle them for her. And then rest in His Presence without fear of the future, knowing He is Faithful and True.

The significance of the robe is less clear to me and perhaps will only be clear to her after she’s done the first part. My sense is that she could use a Spiritual Director (thus the robe of a priest) to assist her in this effort, but I would let this unfold in time rather than try to force an interpretation and make things happen.

David

It may be conversion moment for her…that AHA! And God sent an angel. No matter what it was…what is important that she has changed…and become even closer to adoration of our Lord. All is Good! Pray and Pray some more.

40.png
mhansen:
As the great mystic St. John of the Cross wrote: ignore it. If it is from God, the soul will not be able to prevent the effect the locution was intended to have. And if it was not from God, then no harm will be done by ignoring it altogether.

In other words, if God did it, His message will be “burned” into your friend’s soul even if your friend does not ever think about it again.
Mike
This is good advice.

Another reason to ignore it according to St. John is the very real risk we might become “attached” it. Any kind of attachment to extraordinary events like locutions/revelations etc will slow our progress toward union with our Lord because all attachments (even those we might think of as the “good” kind) divert our attention from proceeding in the darkness of pure faith.

Another thing . . . look to what fruits develop from this. Is she going to mass more? Spending even more time at adoration? Growth in her prayer life? Greater charity toward others? A stronger desire to practice all the virtues? etc.

And yes, talking with a priest would be a good thing.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back