A Rose By Any Other Name

• Thread starter Thread starter catholiclady
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

catholiclady

A Rose by any other name may smell as sweet but some titles have definite distinction. We all know the difference between a Priest, a Deacon and an Acolyte but they have distinctively different names.

There is one instance that I see over and over again that Catholics don’t get straight Since this is a relatively new forum, perhaps we can all try to use the right nomenclature for those who distribute communion. They are not all EM’S.

Ordinary Ministers of the Eucharist: bishops, priests and deacons (EM’s) The E in this case stands for Eucharist, not extraordinary and only these 3 are Eucharsitic Ministers.

Extraordinary Minister of the Eucharist: acolyte (officially installed) (EME’s)

Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion: everyone else, all laypeople other than an acolyte. (EMHC’s)

This is not nitpicking but necessary that we use the right terms and read the right terms otherwise all the documents we read will confuse.

Now some of you are going to answer me that your priest uses the wrong term, etc. etc. but as St. Augustine said, “Wrong is wrong even if everyone else is doing it, right is right even if no one else is doing it

You make a very good point about using the correct phrasing. However, I’m not sure where you are getting your information. “Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist” is a term that is not to be used any more (according to the recent Vatican documents). “Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion” is the term that applies to all non-ordinary ministers (i.e. everyone except the ordained Clergy - from the Deacons on up).

Perhaps it is because Instituted Acolytes are not really just lay persons - I’m not sure.

"Acolyte

This term, which comes from the Greek akoloutheou (“to follow”), denotes the office, ministry or order of clerics who assist at the altar and at other liturgical functions. The term “acolyte” originally applied to those ordained into the highest of the four minor orders which were suppressed by Pope Paul VI after the Second Vatican Council with the promulgation of Ministeria Quaedam. The term is still in use, however, to signify those men who are instituted into this ministry either in a permanent or in a transitory manner (as is the case with those studying for the priesthood) to assist the celebrant at Mass and to distribute Holy Communion as an extraordinary minister when necessity may dictate it and according to the laws of the Church.

“Acolyte” is also commonly used to mean any layman who serves Mass and other liturgical and paraliturgical functions. The symbols of this order/ministry are candlesticks and candles and the cruets used for wine and water at Mass. The above-mentioned document of Paul VI also states that acolytes may also be called “subdeacons” according to the wishes of the regional or national episcopal conferences.

Since this was a ministry or order established by the Church to fill a particular need at a particular time, it has never been considered a sacrament. Rather, it was seen as a sharing, together with the subdeacon, in the ministry of the deacon. It has been and is still usually conferred as a stepping-stone to the priesthood, though today worthy and pious men may be instituted as acolytes to function in a more permanent way, especially where there is no full-time priest. This is especially useful and expedient in missionary lands.
(Reverend Peter M.J. Stravinskas, Ph.D., S.T.L. Our Sunday Visitor’s Catholic Encyclopedia. Copyright © 1994, Our Sunday Visitor.)"

Perhaps one of the forum moderators can claify this for us.

40.png
rcdianne:
You make a very good point about using the correct phrasing. However, I’m not sure where you are getting your information. “Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist” is a term that is not to be used any more (according to the recent Vatican documents). “Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion” is the term that applies to all non-ordinary ministers (i.e. everyone except the ordained Clergy - from the Deacons on up).
The problem is getting people not to use the term “Eucharistic Ministers” when referring to lay people who assist in distributing Holy Communion…It is an easier phrase to say and remember…It will definitely take a while for the new phrasing…or should I say correct phrasing…to become common in the trenches.

I think the problem began when people started using the abbreviation EM’s for Extraordinary Ministers and then someone thought the E stood for Eucharist and then started calling them Eucharistic Ministers - just shows how abbreviations can be misread.

When I worked in the hospital SOB stood for shortness of breath, but does it always? Just trying to make a point.

Good point, Catholiclady. Some things just happen like that…Not an itentional thing at all…

It may have started that way but it still needs correction, so much so that it is specifically addressed in Redemptionis Sacramentum - it does matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back