A saint for me?

• Thread starter Thread starter Shamrock
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shamrock

Hi,
I’ve been reading these boards for a few months and finally decided to join. This site is great and has been alot of help. I was wondering if someone could help me.
I suppose a little background is in order. I guess I’m what you would call a doubter, skeptic, agnostic whatever. I finally figured out I wasn’t going to get a message from God in the form of a note attached to an anvil dropping out of the sky on my head. So I decided to start investigating to see if I could discover “the truth”. (time to pee or get off the pot).
The birth of my first son this summer has hastened the pace of my seeking. I’ve been reading alot of Peter Kreeft, C.S. Lewis, and even TRIED a little Chesterton. Were there any saints who experienced doubts e.t.c., who would have a good inspirational story about overcoming them. If you have any book titles about them I would also appreciate it
Thank you!

St. John of the Cross despribed a process called the “Dark night of the Soul”. I am not sure whether this would apply to your situation or only to the situation of someone who was extremely religious who was not feeling the presence of God. Maybe someone will give a better suggestion and tell whether this applies.

Shamrock, the ORIGINAL saint for all you doubters was the apostle Thomas. Go right to the Bible (Luke or Matthew) for him.

Another good bet for you would be St. Augustine, who lived a pagan life for years, despite the prayers of his saintly mother Monica. Praise God, Augustine saw the light. His “Confessions” or “City of God” would be good.

Don’t forget, since you like C.S. Lewis, to read his autobiography “Surprised by Joy.” Also, John Henry Cardinal Newman–an Episcopalian who was won over to Catholicism in midlife–wrote his “Apologia Pro Vita Sua” (Apology for my life–don’t worry, the BOOK isn’t in Latin). 😃

JMJ

“The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God”

St. Joseph had to overcome many doubts.

I can hear him now.

“Yeah, right! My son will be the Messiah? Tell me another one.”

“Are you trying to say she was conceived by the Holy Spirit? No other man was involved with this and she is still a virgin?”

"Take Him to Egypt? "

“Elizabeth is what?”

“Mary have you seen Jesus, I can’t find Him?”

St. Joseph had many doubts, but he humbly submitted and was always obedient and trusting.

:blessyou:

Tantum ergo said:
\Another good bet for you would be St. Augustine, who lived a pagan life for years, despite the prayers of his saintly mother Monica. Praise God, Augustine saw the light. His “Confessions” or “City of God” would be good.

St. Augustine was my first thought (as he is my patron for many of the same reasons). I don’t think you can find a more inspirational conversion story (IMHO) than his Confessions.

City of God
might not be a good introduction, though, as it is more of a theological/philosophical treatise and takes a while to get through (especially if you have a more literal translation…those paragraph long sentences can be a little difficult sometimes 🙂 ). I will say this about City of God: IMHO, it is probably the crowning achievement of classical Latin thought.

This is not the first time I’ve seen this type of request. How can a Saint who had doubts help you?

I think you should look for the exact opposite. Consider someone who had not a shadow of a doubt: Joan of Arc.

She received around a thousand visions from Heaven. She could even pray to the Voices to come to her and they appeared.

She accepted what anybody has to say was the most impossible and burdensome task ever imposed on a human being, the saving of her country by leading her nation’s military forces at age seventeen. “You want me to do what!” She succeeded. Now there’s inspiration!

Shamrock,

I think most of us have doubts as we explore and learn about our faith. If you don’t question, how do you learn? It sounds like you are on the right track – reading, exploring, searching. Also, remember that faith is a gift from God – so ask Him to help you grow in faith so that you can guide your little one.

I immediately thought of St. Augustine as well. You might try reading some conversion stories too.

God bless.

40.png
empther:
This is not the first time I’ve seen this type of request. How can a Saint who had doubts help you?

I think you should look for the exact opposite. Consider someone who had not a shadow of a doubt: Joan of Arc.

She received around a thousand visions from Heaven. She could even pray to the Voices to come to her and they appeared.

She accepted what anybody has to say was the most impossible and burdensome task ever imposed on a human being, the saving of her country by leading her nation’s military forces at age seventeen. “You want me to do what!” She succeeded. Now there’s inspiration!
If you have doubts and are able to read about a saint who had doubts but over came them then can you relate, which can be a source of encouragement and inspiration/

Example: let’s say you have a difficult mariage. What is more inspiring, motivating, helpful ect. to talk to some one whose always had a great marriage or one who has had struggles in the past and has over come them?

St Therese (the Little Flower) had sincere doubts abut ever going to heaven, struggled much and is a doctor of the Church these days. No thinking person lives a life without questions or doubts - Even Jesus tells us “seek and ye shall find Me” - He knows the human heart.

PS - don’t feel bad about questioning; after all it took a bolt of lightening to get St. Paul. Talk about being hit on the head!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back