T
The_Bucket
Guest
Ok, so since I have failed to get in contact with the NFP teachers that are listed for my area at the CCL, I thought perhaps CAF would have some experts or at least contacts with experts for a pretty specific NFP question I have. I know that a man asking these questions on the forums is not usual, so I hope you’ll bear with me.
We’re at 7+ months post partum with our daughter and my wife definitely needs to avoid pregnancy for some time, think years, due to really bad complications that resulted in a very premature birth of our first (born at 25.5 weeks and in the hospital for more than 4 months but he’s fine now, praise God! Walking, talking and generally being a normal 20 mo. old except for his height) and health problems for her with our second. Serious ones too; and I’m thankful that we’re Catholic and never had cause to touch BCP because she likely would have developed worse pulmonary embolisms than she had with pregnancy and possibly died from them.
So back to us. LAM worked great for what it was supposed to do and while she’s not following all of the ecological BF protocol, it’s still pretty close to the guidelines for a child after six months. She nurses probably 5-6 times a day at minimum in addition to baby food as well as gets up once at night to nurse.
But here’s the issue: we’ve been charting for the last month to try and get a handle on everything but the signs are all over the map. No consistent pattern whatsoever; I’m talking about one dry day, then a few non-fertile mucus days, then a day or two of what looks like more fertile and so on. Basically we can’t find a BIP with mucus or without. Temps are not a ton of help either; they’re all lower as you might imagine and are a bit jumpy but not haphazard.
My question(s) is pretty simple for someone who knows a lot about this stuff (and we don’t for postpartum): What are the “rules” for a BFing (not strictly ecological but also not cultural) mother that has not had her first postpartum period after the six months of LAM? How do you detect a pattern if the signs are very ambiguous or are we just going to have to deal with possibly many months of abstinence?
Once the first postpartum period appears, whenever that is, we’re hopeful that we can get a better handle on all of this. I fully expect to have to deal with being extremely conservative in the future, tough with a woman that has very long cycles anyway, but that’s perfectly OK especially when health and possibly lives are at stake.
Any help you folks can provide with an answer or simply giving me an email address for someone with more expertise and will actually reply would be greatly appreciated. I know this is pretty random, but I’m hoping someone on CAF would have a better hookup than I do on this!
Thanks and God Bless.
We’re at 7+ months post partum with our daughter and my wife definitely needs to avoid pregnancy for some time, think years, due to really bad complications that resulted in a very premature birth of our first (born at 25.5 weeks and in the hospital for more than 4 months but he’s fine now, praise God! Walking, talking and generally being a normal 20 mo. old except for his height) and health problems for her with our second. Serious ones too; and I’m thankful that we’re Catholic and never had cause to touch BCP because she likely would have developed worse pulmonary embolisms than she had with pregnancy and possibly died from them.
So back to us. LAM worked great for what it was supposed to do and while she’s not following all of the ecological BF protocol, it’s still pretty close to the guidelines for a child after six months. She nurses probably 5-6 times a day at minimum in addition to baby food as well as gets up once at night to nurse.
But here’s the issue: we’ve been charting for the last month to try and get a handle on everything but the signs are all over the map. No consistent pattern whatsoever; I’m talking about one dry day, then a few non-fertile mucus days, then a day or two of what looks like more fertile and so on. Basically we can’t find a BIP with mucus or without. Temps are not a ton of help either; they’re all lower as you might imagine and are a bit jumpy but not haphazard.
My question(s) is pretty simple for someone who knows a lot about this stuff (and we don’t for postpartum): What are the “rules” for a BFing (not strictly ecological but also not cultural) mother that has not had her first postpartum period after the six months of LAM? How do you detect a pattern if the signs are very ambiguous or are we just going to have to deal with possibly many months of abstinence?
Once the first postpartum period appears, whenever that is, we’re hopeful that we can get a better handle on all of this. I fully expect to have to deal with being extremely conservative in the future, tough with a woman that has very long cycles anyway, but that’s perfectly OK especially when health and possibly lives are at stake.
Any help you folks can provide with an answer or simply giving me an email address for someone with more expertise and will actually reply would be greatly appreciated. I know this is pretty random, but I’m hoping someone on CAF would have a better hookup than I do on this!
Thanks and God Bless.
