About independent reading and study of the Great books

• Thread starter Thread starter phantom1998
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

phantom1998

Hi,
Can a faithful catholic independently read and study all the Great books in good conscience; without worrying or being scrupulous about whether or not some of the works are on the Index Librorum Prohibitorum (“List of Prohibited Books”)?

I am aware that the Index has been abolished but it still retains its moral force.

Last edited:
Hi,
Can a faithful catholic independently read and study all the Great books in good conscience; without worrying or being scrupulous about whether or not some of the works are on the Index Librorum Prohibitorum (“List of Prohibited Books”)?
Yes. Knock yourself out. As you said, the index has been abolished. If you want to still give it “moral force” then just use caution.

Bear in mind, some works were put on the index for extremely silly reasons.

Hi,

I am aware that the Index has been abolished but it still retains its moral force.
Why would you call them Great books. They were on the Index for a reason and not because they were great.

It was Pope Benedict who emphasised “it still retains its moral force”. I would take that to mean stay away from the books that were on it.

Librorum Prohibitorum
A student becomes like his teacher; first be a student of Thomas Aquinas and St. Augustine, etc., then when you are fully convinced you are like your teacher, convinced you are a Thomas Aquinas living in 2020, then it will be useful to the Church to have Thomas Aquinas (via You) showing the failings of the ideas propagated by the books in the list. If you are not a student of anyone now, you will become like the teachers you study, and repeat their defective thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back