Abstinence in Easter Week

• Thread starter Thread starter rfw
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
someone answer… b/c it is coming up and i don’t want to FEAST when i should FAST/ABSTAIN

Yesterday, I just found out (from my very orthodox parish priest) that the entire Octave of Easter is a solemnity (or something like that). So no, we are not to abstain on Easter Friday.

Another parishioner mentioned that in the Liturgy of the Hours, the psalms for Morning and Evening Prayers are always the same during the Octave (that is, they’re the same as those of Easter Sunday).

I think they also said the same thing happens the Octave of Christmas.

Yes, that’s true about the Liturgy of the Hours. The Psalms, Canticles, and antiphons are the same each day.

I have been taught the same: The feast of Easter lasts eight days, not one. Likewise, for the Octave of Christmas, the feast days take precedence on the Friday (or Fridays) in the octave. In the US, if the Feast of the Immaculate Conception (December 8) or the Feast of the Assumption (August 15) falls on a Friday, the feast day likewise takes precedence.

Those are the obvious examples. Of course, it seems that nearly every day on the Church calendar is the feast day of at least one saint. My understanding is that you go with the feast day precedence for the major feast days in the local diocese.

Easter Friday (i.e., the Friday after Easter) is not a Friday of Lent, and so abstinence from meat is not required.

40.png
JimG:
Easter Friday (i.e., the Friday after Easter) is not a Friday of Lent, and so abstinence from meat is not required.
However, if it is not observed, another penitential practice MUST be substituted in its place.
Can. 1250 The penitential days and times in the universal Church are every Friday of the whole year and the season of Lent.

Can. 1253 The conference of bishops can determine more precisely the observance of fast and abstinence as well as substitute other forms of penance, especially works of charity and exercises of piety, in whole or in part, for abstinence and fast.

Abstinence is only required during Lent in the US but it is still suggested AND the obligation still remains to observe the penitential day somehow.

So the question still remains as to whether Easter Friday is a penitential day (although is seems to have been settled with the fact that solemnities override penitential days) .

40.png
Viajero:
Yesterday, I just found out (from my very orthodox parish priest) that the entire Octave of Easter is a solemnity (or something like that). So no, we are not to abstain on Easter Friday.

Another parishioner mentioned that in the Liturgy of the Hours, the psalms for Morning and Evening Prayers are always the same during the Octave (that is, they’re the same as those of Easter Sunday).

I think they also said the same thing happens the Octave of Christmas.
There are only two octaves left that the church observes. Before Vatican II the church observed the octaves of: Christmas, Easter, Ascension, Pentecost (Holy Trinity Sunday was the Octave day), Corpus Christi, and The Sacred Heart.

Psalm45:9:
There are only two octaves left that the church observes. Before Vatican II the church observed the octaves of: Christmas, Easter, Ascension, Pentecost (Holy Trinity Sunday was the Octave day), Corpus Christi, and The Sacred Heart.
However, the Christmas Octave is not ranked as solemnly as the Easter Octave – Indeed one might miss it entirely among the feasts of Stephen, John, the Holy Innocents, and (optionally) Thomas Becket and Pope St Sylvester I. cf. This table of Liturgical Precedence.

tee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back