Accidental skipping of part of Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter smswife
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smswife

Guest
At a Mass recently, the priest accidentally skipped the 2nd half of the Eucharistic prayer.

He went right from the Memorial Acclamation to the Lord’s Prayer.

Am I correct in assuming this does NOT invalidate the Mass or the Eucharist?

Thanks
 
Yes, as long as the words of the Consecration were properly spoken, the Mass was valid.

If this was a one-time occurrence, I would not worry about it. If it becomes more frequent or if there are other signs of memory loss (which could be due to advanced age, illness, etc.), you might charitably bring it to the attention of the pastor or someone else who is in a position to provide assistance.
 
When I was younger, there was a priest at my church, who has since left and got married :eek: , who would ask the congregation if anyone was celebrating a birthday that week how old they were and what not, at the end of his homily. One week he forgot, and realized just as we were about to say the creed, so he decided to skip the creed because we say it every week and he wanted to get in birthdays. I guess I’m not surprised he went and started his own church.
 
How about if a priest skips the Prayer of the Faithful (right after the homily)?
 
Thanks!

The Mass was the Confirmation Mass for my godson and it was the Bishop for a neighboring diocese. It was in the evening on a weekday, there were over 100 confirmands so it was quite late by the time he got to the consecration. My SIL and niece (mother and sister of my godson) were in the choir and preparing to sing the great Amen next after having just sung the Memorial Acclamation but obviously never got to do so. I’m certain it was inadvertent, and in fact most people didn’t even seem to notice.

The Bishop did not seem at all confused so I don’t think it’s a chronic problem.

Again, thanks for the (name removed by moderator)ut.
 
There’s a priest at a parish I go to on weekdays who says that he just doesn’t do the prayer for the faithful and never has. An overly protective older woman pulled me aside and told me not to “fuss” at him because at the seminary he went to they don’t teach the prayer of the faithful. This sounds very odd.

Either way I won’t be “fussing” at him because he is very old and has Alzheimers. We have to be grateful that he’s able to say the Mass at all.
 
I went to daily Mass for years and many priests did not do the prayers of the faithful unless it were a feast day.
 
I went to daily Mass for years and many priests did not do the prayers of the faithful unless it were a feast day.
I’ve been going for a few years now, and rarely are prayers of the faithful done - I know even the homily is optional at a weekday Mass, and of course the Gloria and Creed aren’t said on weekdays unless there’s a feast.

I was presuming the Prayers of the Faithful were optional on weekdays too. Anyone know whether this is accurate?
 
I’ve been going for a few years now, and rarely are prayers of the faithful done - I know even the homily is optional at a weekday Mass, and of course the Gloria and Creed aren’t said on weekdays unless there’s a feast.

I was presuming the Prayers of the Faithful were optional on weekdays too. Anyone know whether this is accurate?
The GIRM states
  1. In the Prayer of the Faithful, the people respond in a certain way to the word of God which they have welcomed in faith and, exercising the office of their baptismal priesthood, offer prayers to God for the salvation of all. It is fitting that such a prayer be included, as a rule, in Masses celebrated with a congregation, so that petitions will be offered for the holy Church, for civil authorities, for those weighed down by various needs, for all men and women, and for the salvation of the whole world.
So…it seems one could read that as saying the Prayer of the Faithful may be omitted, but it doesn’t give any specific reasons why it should.
 
Looks like there are some variations in different parts of the country. I’ve been going to weekday Mass 2-3 times a week since I retired a year ago, and I’ve never noticed the prayer of the faithful being skipped (or the homily for that matter). Para 69 of the GIRM does seem to leave some leeway, but the sentence “It is fitting that such a prayer be included, as a rule…” leaves no doubt as to what the rule should be. Most Masses should have a prayer of the faithful. Skipping it should be the exception to the rule.

Why would a priest want to leave it out?

As I say, though, in the case of this elderly priest, I do not plan to pursue the matter.
 
Why would a priest want to leave it out?
Around the northeast its rare to hear the prayer of the faithful during a regular weekday mass. One of the main reasons is that most people at the weekday mass are commuters. Thus its omitted as a kind of “time saver.”

Another reason is that in many parishes the people at the daily mass don’t care one way or the other if its included.

And, of course, most prayer of the faithful resources are cheesy and often theologically incorrect.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top