Adam and Eve in Heaven or Hell?

• Thread starter Thread starter Lance
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Lance:
Do you think Adam and Eve are or will end up in Heaven or Hell?
Hmm, good question. If I had to guess, I’d think that at some point they repented, so I wouldn’t think they’d be in Hell. However, whether or not they’ve made it out of Purgatory is a whole 'nother issue…

Again, may I cast one more vote against using speculation about who’s going to hell as some sort of parlor game? Okay, I’m a party pooper… but just think about it. If idle speculation is permissible at all as a recreational pasttime, idle speculation about the eternal damnation of others should be out of bounds, at the very least.

There is this painting I saw in Holy Hill when I went for Mass last Easter. This painting showed the resurrected Jesus reaching out for Adam and Eve who were at the bottom of the painting.

There is an old sermon in the Office of Readings for Holy Saturday which describes Jesus descent to the realm of the dead and His search for Adam to bring him, and his children, to Heaven.

I think the Eastern Church honors Adam and Eve as Saints. They have a feast day near Christmas if I remember correctly. While they were never formally canonized in the West, I think we accept the East’s teaching on this.

Joe Kelley:
There is an old sermon in the Office of Readings for Holy Saturday which describes Jesus descent to the realm of the dead and His search for Adam to bring him, and his children, to Heaven.

I think the Eastern Church honors Adam and Eve as Saints. They have a feast day near Christmas if I remember correctly. While they were never formally canonized in the West, I think we accept the East’s teaching on this.
Code:
This is also St Catherine Emmerich’s vision. Mel Gibson used her visions to portray Jesus’s Passion and Death. (I also realize that he used the Gospels).

Blessings,
Shoshnaa

Joe Kelley:
I think the Eastern Church honors Adam and Eve as Saints. . While they were never formally canonized in the West, I think we accept the East’s teaching on this.
That is quite true the Eastern Church holds them as saints. Canonization was a later development (Heck St. Peter was never canonized, but we certainly call him a saint, neither was St. Patrick for that matter.)

As the Eastern Catholic Church recognizes Sts. Adam and Eve, so does all the Church, by definition.

They are in heaven.

40.png
BLB_Oregon:
Again, may I cast one more vote against using speculation about who’s going to hell as some sort of parlor game? Okay, I’m a party pooper… but just think about it. If idle speculation is permissible at all as a recreational pasttime, idle speculation about the eternal damnation of others should be out of bounds, at the very least.
After voting, I have to agree. Many of times when I try to help people or make a statement of moral or ethical in nature, they get really defensive and I’ve been accused that I get enjoyment watching people’s lives go to hell in a hand basket to lay some guilt on me. .

Adam and Eve had the perfect marriage. He didn’t have to listen to stories about who she could have married and she didn’t have to put up with his mother.

40.png
Lance:
Do you think Adam and Eve are or will end up in Heaven or Hell?
Yes.

Oh! You mean… “which place will each of them end up?”

My answer is “depends.”

I may not presume, nor despair… both of which are sins. Not to mention, my judging someone else is the same way that I will be judged.

So, thanks but no thanks on asking this question.

Bottom line, my answer is still “yes” (in other words, they like the rest of us, sooner or later wind up in either Heaven == possibly with a detour through Purgatory – or Hell).

And, it “depends” (please see Scripture and the Catechism).

Thanks.

See CCC 635
Christ went down into the depths of death so that "the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live."485 Jesus, “the Author of life,” by dying destroyed "him who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and [delivered] all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong bondage."486 Henceforth the risen Christ holds “the keys of Death and Hades,” so that "at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth."487
Today a great silence reigns on earth, a great silence and a great stillness. A great silence because the King is asleep. The earth trembled and is still because God has fallen asleep in the flesh and he has raised up all who have slept ever since the world began. . . . He has gone to search for Adam, our first father, as for a lost sheep. Greatly desiring to visit those who live in darkness and in the shadow of death, he has gone to free from sorrow Adam in his bonds and Eve, captive with him—He who is both their God and the son of Eve. . . . "I am your God, who for your sake have become your son. . . . I order you, O sleeper, to awake. I did not create you to be a prisoner in hell. Rise from the dead, for I am the life of the dead."488

I don’t know but I hope that they are in heaven! I hope that all are in heaven because I am the worst sinner that I truly know. If all others are there then maybe that gives me a fighting chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back