Admirable Modern Catholics

• Thread starter Thread starter La_Chiara
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

La_Chiara

I would be interested in hearing about modern (20th century) Catholics that we admire. Obviously, Mother Teresa needs to head the list.

I read about Avery Dulles when he was named a Cardinal by the Pope. I found his story fascinating. He is from the famous Dulles family of American diplomats and government officials. His father was John Foster Dulles. He converted from the family faith (Anglican or Episcopalianism, I believe) as a young man, and then became a priest. Pope John Paul II named Dulles a Cardinal a few years ago. Dulles teaches theology at Fordham but was past the age that a Cardinal can be to vote in the Papal Enclave for the next pope. So his appointment as a Cardinal was largely honorary, since he isn’t the head of a diocese or archdiocese.

Started to feel a little unsure of my facts so here is a link:
fordham.edu/dulles/
and here is an interview that discusses his conversion:
americapress.org/articles/cardinaldulles.htm

i would include, of course, pope John Paul II in any such list. i would also add thomas merton, peter kreeft, and cardinal ratzinger.

Maria Esperanza!! This lady will undoubtedly be declared a saint one day. She just died a few weeks ago. She was a mystic from Betania (Portugal). Some believe that she was a successor to Saint Padre Pio. Betania is a church approved apparition site. Here is a link:

spiritdaily.org/Archive%20pages/Esperanza.htm

I am so inspired by this woman. What a holy woman! I pray to God that maybe someday, I, too, could develop this level of holiness before I die.
I’m sorry that I haven’t really given you any details about her. There is just so much and I wouldn’t do her justice. Please read the link. That will tell you.

Venerable Fr. Solanus Casey! Does he count as modern?

solanuscasey.org/

He was an absolutely amazing holy man of God. I was fortunate enough to go to college with his grand-nephews and hear his story there. So beautiful!

40.png
jeffreedy789:
i would include, of course, pope John Paul II in any such list. i would also add thomas merton, peter kreeft, and cardinal ratzinger.
Jeff–Could you give us a synopsis of who these people are and ideally a link to learn more? I have heard of all three, but only recently (on the forums) and don’t know a whole lot about them. Thanks.

Don’t forget St. Faustina, St. Maximillian Kolbe, Father Maciel (Regnum Christum), Dorothy Day (Catholic Worker), Bob Hope, Danny Thomas (St. Jude’s Childrens’ Hospital), and Tom Monaghan, the original founder of Domino’s Pizza.

And probably pretty soon we’ll be adding Karl Keating, Mother Angelica, Fr. Groeschel, and at least three of our current U.S. bishops. . . Bishop Vasa, Bishop Sheridan, and Bishop Bruskewitz.

And let’s not forget Fulton Sheen and Cardinal O’Connor!

Padre Pio has accomplished much both before and after his death.

Deacon Tony SFO

I’d agree with you Deacon Tony, St Padre Pio is the one for me! So is St Mother Teresa

There is ONE living person who our Blessed Mother has appeared before, and to whom she has given specific instructions:

Sister Lucia

Brian Crane:
There is ONE living person who our Blessed Mother has appeared before, and to whom she has given specific instructions:

Sister Lucia
You are so right! I forgot about her. (Shame on me). What a blessing she is. What a story!

As Padre Pio said upon meeting the second greatest mystic of the 20th Century (after himself)… AH!!! ESPERANZA!

The Pope
St Pio
Maria Esperanza
Mother Angelica
Bishop Sheen
Blessed Teresa of Calcutta
Father John Corapi
Father William Casey
Father Benedict Groeschel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back