"Adopting a Soul"

• Thread starter Thread starter Kay_Cee
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kay_Cee

Hi-- I’m fairly new here, and this is the first thread I’m posting, so I hope I’m doing it right.

We often pray for our deceased friends and relatives. But I got to thinking about the multitude of souls in Purgatory who have no one on earth who can or will pray from them.

Anyway, I had this idea of asking God for one soul there in particular to pray for–in other words, “adopting” a spiritual brother or sister to pray for.

I’m naming my spiritual “sister” Alice (just to make it more personal), and praying for her at opportune moments, like when I’m sitting in waiting room, standing in line at the bank or grocery store, or waiting for the red light to change.

I figure that not only will this do Alice a lot of good, but I’ll have a special friend waiting when (I hope!) I arrive in heaven.

Anybody else interested in doing the same?

We do it in our church at every Sunday Mass- though on a less personal level. We “pray for the souls in purgatory” during our intentions.

I also this way privately, but that is nice that you have made it personal.

:blessyou:

(Welcome! By the way!)

40.png
Shiann:
We do it in our church at every Sunday Mass- though on a less personal level. We “pray for the souls in purgatory” during our intentions.

I also this way privately, but that is nice that you have made it personal.

(Welcome! By the way!)
Thanks, Shiann!

I think, though, that you didn’t get the point of my post–or I didn’t make it clear.

We often pray for certain individuals in Purgatory, like friends and relatives. They have us to pray for them. But so many have no one to pray for them–as individuals. I’m talking about “adopting” a spiritual brother or sister to pray for as an individual–in addition to our usual prayers for all the souls in Purgatory. That is, being conscious of one soul in particular who needs our prayers–and taking time during the day to pray for this particular soul.

That’s a wonderful sentiment and your compassion is admirable! I know we do the adopt a baby (and pray for a baby in the womb whose mother is considering abortion) throughout the year.

And I know what you mean about praying for the souls in purgatory who have no one to pray for them. I don’t “adopt” a particular soul, but each day I do pray for those “who have no one here praying for them.” I can’t imagine how many there are.

Penitent

Kay Cee:
Thanks, Shiann!

I think, though, that you didn’t get the point of my post–or I didn’t make it clear.

We often pray for certain individuals in Purgatory, like friends and relatives. They have us to pray for them. But so many have no one to pray for them–as individuals. I’m talking about “adopting” a spiritual brother or sister to pray for as an individual–in addition to our usual prayers for all the souls in Purgatory. That is, being conscious of one soul in particular who needs our prayers–and taking time during the day to pray for this particular soul.
Yup, I understood what you meant. You asked if anyone else was interested in praying for a particular soul.

I just responded that I did not pray for a particular soul, neither in a community setting, nor in a private setting, and had never really thought of it, and commended you on your actions. All prayer is helpfull and brings us, and those we are praying for closer to God.

That’s a wonderful thing you do. On a similar note:

Want to pray for a priest? To get more info hit the link in my sig. The sisters are assigning priests in need of prayers, or you can choose one yourself.

A little off the subject, but my Pro-Life group “spiritually adopts” an unborn child…to be born on Dec. 25th…
So I understand…you want your prayers to be for one “specific” soul that may not be receiving prayers at all besides the common “all souls” type of prayer…I think it’s a wonderful idea!

I also often pray for the souls in purgatory, especially those who are abandoned and forgotten. In doing so, though, it struck me that there are probably thousands of people praying for the souls in purgatory, especially the religious orders, so there isn’t really anyone out there that nobody is praying for!

There are, however, those whose families are Catholic but don’t believe in purgatory or pray for their release, and those who are Christian and don’t know the value of praying for their loved ones who have died.

So I usually pray for whoever is in most need of my prayers and let God choose for me who receives those graces. I also do this with those who are still battling for their souls on this earth; whoever is in most need of His mercy and grace.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with praying for one soul in particular, or even giving them a name. Even when that soul is released and you might continue praying for them, God will take those graces and apply them to someone else.

There are many in our families we can pray for as well, back many generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back