Advent book, preparing for Christmas

• Thread starter Thread starter ShannonS
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ShannonS

Hello all,
I am in a bible study with about 6 women. We are looking for a book that would help us prepare for Advent. Any suggestions?
In Conversation with God (I think is the title) is a little too complex with three readings each day, being that our 6 children will also be with us, but we want more than a book about things/activities we can do with our families during Advent. We want some meat, just not a 72 oz. steak, if you know what I mean.
Thanks for your help,
Shannon

Since Advent is in part about preparing for the coming of the Messiah at Christmas, and Christmas is all about the Incarnation, may I recommend “The Mission of the Messiah,” by Tim Gray? It is a Bible study that can be used in a small group with discussion questions at the end of each chapter. Here’s more info:
catholiccompany.com/product_detail.cfm?ID=342

A Coming Christ in Advent Raymond E. Brown. Essays on the Gospel narratives preparing for the birth of Jesus based on Matthew 1 and Luke 1.

Advent of the Savior Stephen J. Binz. A commentary on the infancy narratives of Jesus that can be used for group study and personal meditation.

*Advent And Christmas Wisdom From Henri Nouwen *

*Advent And Christmas Meditations With Thomas Merton *

*Advent And Christmas Meditations With The Saints *

All Things New Gerald O’Collins, SJ. A reflection on Advent,

An Adult Christ Looks at Christmas Raymond Brown. A presentation of important insights on chapter 2 of Matthew and chapter 2 of Luke on the birth of Jesus and its aftermath.

Behold, He Comes Benedict Groeschel, C.F.R. A book of meditations for daily reading from Advent to Epiphany. The reflections are not commentaries on the liturgical readings for each day. Rather they focus your mind and heart on Advent and Christmas themes based on traditional interpretations of Scripture.

Biblical Meditations for Advent and the Christmas Season Carroll Stuhlmeuller. Meditations on the liturgical readings for the season.

Birth of the Messiah Raymond E. Brown. In-depth commentary on the biblical infancy narratives by well known Catholic biblical scholar.

Coming of God Maria Boulding, O.S.B. Reflections in the tradition of lectio divina on the mysterious yet wondrous comings of God into our lives using a treasury of scriptural, patristic and other spiritual classics.

Dawn of the Messiah: The Coming of Christ in Scripture Edward Sri. The author articulates in clear and exciting terms the mystery of Christ’s birth. The result is a wonderful mix of Catholic theology, spirituality and catechesis.

Fathoming Bethlehem Robert F. Morneau. Meditations for the Advent Season by Bishop Morneau.

Home for Christmas A collection of Christmas stories selected for their literary quality and their spiritual integrity, they will resonate with readers of all ages, year after year. (Available from Christian Bookstore.)

Mystery of the Incarnation Christoph Schonborn. Using beautiful icons to illustrate his meditations the author comments on the three articles of the Creed that relate to the Incarnation.

Mystery of the Incarnation (The) Cardinal Basil Hume. In this book, which he had been working shortly before he died, Cardinal Basil Hume reflects on the Incarnation and its meaning for our lives and for society. Excellent for spiritual reading at any time of year but especially during Advent and Christmas Seasons.

Redeemer in the Womb John Saward. A unique and profound theological meditation on the nine months the God-man spent in His Virgin Mother’s womb.

Walk With The Lord Fr. Anselm Romb, OFM, Conv. Daily reflections for Advent/Christmas for those seeking to deepen their experience of the Incarnation.

Wow! Thanks, you all have given me a great list to present to the ladies. I’m really looking forward to Advent!!
In Christ,
Shannon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back