Advent Scriptures and Prayers

• Thread starter Thread starter Traditional_Ang
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Traditional_Ang

Brothers and Sisters:

After 3 days, I’ve concluded the only way I’m going to do my Advent Scripture Reading is to post it here…

Almighty God, Give us grace that we cast away the works of darkness, and put upon us the armor of light, now in that time of this mortal life, in which Thy Son, JESUS Christ came to visit us in great humility, that in the last day, when He shall come again in glorious majesty to judge both the living and the dead, we may rise to life immortal; through Him Who liveth and reinethwith Thee and the Holy Ghost, ever one God, world without end. Amen

These are the readings for the First Sunday in Advent, According to the Old Calendar:

The First Sunday in Advent has been known as “DOOM SUNDAY” from the Early Middle Ages. This reading may have been one people would have heard during the course of the day.

The Prophetic Lesson is taken from the Book of the Prophet Isaiah.

*Wail, for the day of the LORD is near; as destruction from the Almighty it will come! Therefore all hands will be feeble, and every man’s heart will melt, and they will be dismayed. Pangs and agony will seize them; they will be in anguish like a woman in travail. They will look aghast at one another; their faces will be aflame.

Behold, the day of the LORD comes, cruel, with wrath and fierce anger, to make the earth a desolation and to destroy its sinners from it. For the stars of the heavens and their constellations will not give their light; the sun will be dark at its rising and the moon will not shed its light.

I will punish the world for its evil, and the wicked for their iniquity; I will put an end to the pride of the arrogant, and lay low the haughtiness of the ruthless. I will make men more rare than fine gold, and mankind than the gold of Ophir. Therefore, I will make the heavens tremble, and the earth will be shaken out of its place, at the wrath of the LORD of hosts in the day of his fierce anger. Ezekiel 13:6-13 RSV*

Here endeth the Lesson.

In Christ, Michael

The Graudual

For all they that look for Thee; shall not be ashamed, O Lord. V. Make known to me all they ways, O Lord, and teach me they paths. For all they that look for Thee; shall not be ashamed, O Lord.

The Epistle is taken from the Letter of St. Paul to the Romans:

*For the same reason you also pay taxes, for the authorities are ministers of God, attending to this very thing. Pay all of them their dues, taxes to whom taxes are due, revenue to whom revenue is due, respect to whom respect is due, honor to whom honor is due.

Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law. The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not kill, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this sentence, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Besides this you know what hour it is, how it is full time now for you to wake from sleep. For salvation is nearer to us now than when we first believed; the night is far gone, the day is at hand. Let us then cast off the works of darkness and put on the armor of light; let us conduct ourselves becomingly as in the day, not in reveling and drunkenness, not in debauchery and licentiousness, not in quarreling and jealousy.

But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires. Romans 13:6-14 RSV*

Alleluia, alleluia. Show us Thy mercy, O Lord, and grant us Thy salvation. Alleluia.

*And when they drew near to Jerusalem and came to Beth’phage, to the Mount of Olives, then Jesus sent two disciples, saying to them, "Go into the village opposite you, and immediately you will find an *** tied, and a colt with her; untie them and bring them to me.

If any one says anything to you, you shall say, `The Lord has need of them,’ and he will send them immediately." This took place to fulfil what was spoken by the prophet, saying,
5: “Tell the daughter of Zion, Behold, your king is coming to you, humble, and mounted on an ***, and on a colt, the foal of an ***.”

The disciples went and did as Jesus had directed them; they brought the *** and the colt, and put their garments on them, and he sat thereon. Most of the crowd spread their garments on the road, and others cut branches from the trees and spread them on the road. And the crowds that went before him and that followed him shouted, “Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest!”

And when he entered Jerusalem, all the city was stirred, saying, “Who is this?” And the crowds said, “This is the prophet Jesus from Nazareth of Galilee.” And Jesus entered the temple of God and drove out all who sold and bought in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money-changers and the seats of those who sold pigeons. He said to them, “It is written, `My house shall be called a house of prayer’; but you make it a den of robbers.” Matt 6-14. RSV*

Back in a while with Monday’s postings.

In Christ, Michael

The Advent Procession - An Evening Service of Readings and Carols

Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy Name; Thy Kingdom come; Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who tresspass against us. And lead us not into temptation; But deliver us from evil. For Thine is the Kingdom, the power, and the glory for ever and ever. Amen

The First Lesson is taken trom the Book of Genesis:

*Now the serpent was more subtle than any other wild creature that the LORD God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God say, `You shall not eat of any tree of the garden’?”

And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden; but God said, `You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.’”

But the serpent said to the woman, “You will not die. For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate; and she also gave some to her husband, and he ate.

Then the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves aprons.

And they heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden.
But the LORD God called to the man, and said to him, “Where are you?” And he said, “I heard the sound of thee in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.”

He said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten of the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?”

The man said, “The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me fruit of the tree, and I ate.”

Then the LORD God said to the woman, “What is this that you have done?” The woman said, “The serpent beguiled me, and I ate.”

The LORD God said to the serpent, “Because you have done this, cursed are you above all cattle, and above all wild animals; upon your belly you shall go, and dust you shall eat all the days of your life. I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her seed; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel.” Genesis 3:1-15 RSV*

HYMN - "Come Thou Long-Expected Jesus"

The Second Lesson is taken fron the Book of the Prophet Isaiah:

*Comfort, comfort my people, says your God. Speak tenderly to Jerusalem, and cry to her that her warfare is ended, that her iniquity is pardoned, that she has received from the LORD’s hand double for all her sins.

A voice cries: “In the wilderness prepare the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God. Every valley shall be lifted up, and every mountain and hill be made low; the uneven ground shall become level, and the rough places a plain. And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together, for the mouth of the LORD has spoken.”

Get you up to a high mountain, O Zion, herald of good tidings; lift up your voice with strength, O Jerusalem, herald of good tidings, lift it up, fear not; say to the cities of Judah, “Behold your God!” Isaiah 40:1-5,9. RSV*

To be con., Michael

Continued from the previous…

HYMN - "O come, O come, Emmanuel"

The Third Lesson is taken from the Book of the Prophet Jeremiah:

*Then I will gather the remnant of my flock out of all the countries where I have driven them, and I will bring them back to their fold, and they shall be fruitful and multiply. I will set shepherds over them who will care for them, and they shall fear no more, nor be dismayed, neither shall any be missing, says the LORD.

"Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch, and he shall reign as king and deal wisely, and shall execute justice and righteousness in the land. In his days Judah will be saved, and Israel will dwell securely. And this is the name by which he will be called: `The LORD is our righteousness.’

“Therefore, behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when men shall no longer say, As the LORD lives who brought up the people of Israel out of the land of Egypt,' but As the LORD lives who brought up and led the descendants of the house of Israel out of the north country and out of all the countries where he had driven them.’ Then they shall dwell in their own land.” Ezekiel 23:3-8 RSV*

Choral Anthem - “Lo, In the Time Appointed” - Henry Willan

Lo, in the time appointed the Lord will come;
The mountains and the hills will break forth into singing
And all the trees of the field shall clap their hands;
For the Lortd shall come into His everlasting Kingdom
And upon the throne of David shall He reign, Alleluya.
From a Serum antiphon

The Fourth Lesson is taken from the Book of the Prophet Isaiah:

*Awake, awake, put on your strength, O Zion; put on your beautiful garments, O Jerusalem, the holy city; for there shall no more come into you the uncircumcised and the unclean. Shake yourself from the dust, arise, O captive Jerusalem; loose the bonds from your neck, O captive daughter of Zion.

For thus says the LORD: "You were sold for nothing, and you shall be redeemed without money. For thus says the Lord GOD: My people went down at the first into Egypt to sojourn there, and the Assyrian oppressed them for nothing.

Now therefore what have I here, says the LORD, seeing that my people are taken away for nothing? Their rulers wail, says the LORD, and continually all the day my name is despised. Therefore my people shall know my name; therefore in that day they shall know that it is I who speak; here am I."

How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him who brings good tidings, who publishes peace, who brings good tidings of good, who publishes salvation, who says to Zion, “Your God reigns.”

Hark, your watchmen lift up their voice, together they sing for joy; for eye to eye they see the return of the LORD to Zion. Break forth together into singing, you waste places of Jerusalem; for the LORD has comforted his people, he has redeemed Jerusalem. Isaiah 52:1-9 RSV*

HYMN - "Turn Back, O Man"

To be con., Michael

Continued from the Previous…

The Fifth Lesson is taken from the Gospel According to Luke:

*In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin’s name was Mary. And he came to her and said, “Hail, O favored one, the Lord is with you!”

But she was greatly troubled at the saying, and considered in her mind what sort of greeting this might be.

And the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus. He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High; and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there will be no end.” Luke 1:26-33 RSV*

CHORAL ANTHEM - “Peace to Every Neighbor” Cyril Diplock

*Refrain: Peace to every neighbor on this Christmas Day.
Christ is born our Savior. Love is come to stay.

Verse 1: In a stable, cradled in a manger,
Little stranger born of humble maiden.
Long awaited Jesus, King of heav’n and earth,
Came His love to teach us
In that holy birth. Refrain…

Verse 2: Blessed city, Pilgrims come to ponder
On the wonder of the incarnation;
On the greatest morning
Bethlehem has known,
On the holy calling
God has made our own. Refrain…*

HYMN - "Sing of Mary"

The Sixth Lesson is taken from the Gospel According to St. Luke:

Jesus, when he began his ministry, was about thirty years of age, being the son (as was supposed) of Joseph, the son of Heli, the son of Matthat, the son of Levi, the son of Melchi, the son of Jan’na-i, the son of Joseph, the son of Mattathi’as, the son of Amos, the son of Nahum, the son of Esli, the son of Nag’ga-i, the son of Ma’ath, the son of Mattathi’as, the son of Sem’e-in, the son of Josech, the son of Joda, the son of Jo-an’an, the son of Rhesa, the son of Zerub’babel, the son of She-al’ti-el, the son of Neri, the son of Melchi, the son of Addi, the son of Cosam, the son of Elma’dam, the son of Er, the son of Joshua, the son of Elie’zer, the son of Jorim, the son of Matthat, the son of Levi, the son of Simeon, the son of Judah, the son of Joseph, the son of Jonam, the son of Eli’akim, the son of Me’le-a, the son of Menna, the son of Mat’tatha, the son of Nathan, the son of David, the son of Jesse, the son of Obed, the son of Bo’az, the son of Sala, the son of Nahshon, the son of Ammin’adab, the son of Admin, the son of Arni, the son of Hezron, the son of Perez, the son of Judah, the son of Jacob, the son of Isaac, the son of Abraham, the son of Terah, the son of Nahor, the son of Serug, the son of Re’u, the son of Peleg, the son of Eber, the son of Shelah, the son of Ca-i’nan, the son of Arphax’ad, the son of Shem, the son of Noah, the son of Lamech, the son of Methuselah, the son of Enoch, the son of Jared, the son of Maha’lale-el, the son of Ca-i’nan, the son of Enos, the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God. Luke 3:23-38 RSV

To be con., Michael

Continued from Previous…

There are only Anglican prayers left…

I’ll ask that any brothers and sisters who would care to post the readings from the misselette do so here. That way, we can get the benefit of both the Old and the New Lectionaries.

I realize that Fr. Wilcox has added readings from the Old Testament to the weekly services that would not usually be included in them. The readings in the ACC are done from the KJV, which had ALL the books of the Bible until the Puritans got hold of the thing. For simple comprehensibility, I’ve decided to use the RSV which was used for a while as the Authorized version in Catholic masses in English speaking countries.

Once again, Advent is a special time of year, and I would appreciate seeing what the Catholic Church is now printing in the Misselttes nowadays.

In order to avoid typing, you can post the NAB readings from the Vatican Website:
vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/_INDEX.HTM

The Blessing

Go forth into the world in peace; be of good courage; hold fast to that which is good; render to no man evil for evil; strengthen the faint-hearted; support the weak; help the afflicted; honor all men; love and serve the Lord, rejoicing in the power of the Holy Spirit. and the blessing of God Almighty, :blessyou: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, be upon you and remain with you now and forever. Amen

Good night.

In Christ, Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back