Advice needed about my ex

  • Thread starter Thread starter tygirwulf
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tygirwulf

Guest
I need some advice about what to do. I have gotten myself into a bad situation, against the advice of my parents. I hope this is the right subforum to be asking about this.

This is gonna be kinda hard for me because it will show just how stupid I’ve been, and I don’t like being stupid, or looking stupid. Hindsight is 20/20, but honestly, I should have seen the trouble coming a mile away.

Last year I met a man, a single father of two kids. We hit it off pretty well, we were both new to the Faith, had all kinds of ooey-gooey feelings, you know how that goes. I was living in TN at the time, I met him in Florida in person, and we talked online and on the phone quite a bit. I was preparing to move back to Missouri, where I’m originally from.

This man was down on his luck. He had lost his job and his home, and was living in a friend’s house. He had no transport and his friend worked so it was hard for him to get anywhere. He had a babysitter watch his kids during the day while he worked (he walked). He is an orphan, so has no family to help him. Soon after I met him, his friend kicked him out of the house, and he literally didn’t know where else to go or what to do. He seemed like he really just needed a chance to get his feet under him enough to save some money to buy a car and he’d be good as gold.

Soo, I come in, and offered to help him move to Missouri, and watch his kids for him while he was at work, especially since he tended to work only night shifts. I figured watching his kids was mostly going to be putting them to bed before I went to sleep myself, and I’d be able to work during the day. He was wary of this offer, saying he did not want to be stuck in a strange state if we broke up, and I swore an oath to him, invoking the name of God and my own honor, I would not abandon him even if we did break up. He finally agreed.

So last summer, I helped him move to my area, and slept at his place while he was at work, so someone would be there for his kids at night while he was gone. Things went alright at first, stressful with the move and getting set up, etc. But it never eased off. He got verbally abusive, yelling and screaming at me for not doing housework, or not coming to take him to work at the right time (not necessarily late), or for about any excuse he could think of. He started calling me a liar, weasel, backstabber because he claimed I had said things and made promises I never did, and “forgot” them to mess with him. Things of that nature.

His night shift job didn’t last long, and really the only thing available for him was an evening shift job. So now I go to work, get off, take him to work, watch his kids, and at night I bring him home before going home myself to go to bed. His work schedule means I have no time to myself, I cannot meet with friends when they get off work, I can’t go to afternoon Mass at campus, I only get about an hour between taking him home and me going to bed.

I broke up with him a month ago. But what do I do? He has no car, no reliable way to work, and kids to support. I take him to work and bring him home and watch his kids in the meantime. He doesn’t make enough to hire a babysitter, and he’s slowly saving to buy a car but isn’t there yet. He’s stopped being verbally abusive towards me since I broke up with him, that’s a bonus, but really, not being yelled at is bare minimum of what I expect of anyone I have anything to do with.

My friends are pushing me to just forget him, even knowing I swore an oath upon God’s name I wouldn’t just leave him hanging out to dry. They tell me I owe nothing to someone who treats me with no respect, and that after seven months he really ought to either be able to stand on his own or have met other people who could help him. They also point out that in his mind, nothing has really changed. Whether I say I broke up with him or not, I’m still acting much the same way I did when I was with him. And they tell me his children are not my responsibility, that regardless what I promised him, he still chose to move here himself. I certainly don’t want anything to do with him, as being friends with him is impossible.

The only thing I have to say to them is that I swore I wouldn’t leave him hanging. Only one person has said anything positive about my continuing to watch his children, but then she added “that reflects well on you only as long as he isn’t taking advantage of your generosity.”

So, what would you do?
 
Even if you married him, you would not be obliged to stay around and be abused, and I am glad things did not go this far this time.
 
“that reflects well on you only as long as he isn’t taking advantage of your generosity.”
This jumped out at me. Because I think he IS taking advantage. And it may well be that he doesn’t improve his circumstances to keep you in his life. He has probably figured out that you take your oath seriously and for him that is an excellent way to keep a hold on you and make sure you stick around.
I hope I’m wrong, but this is the feeling I get from reading your post. Seven months should be enough time to get back on your feet for most people. And if he has any pride at all, he would have made sure that he didn’t need to keep clinging to someone who has no interest in being with him. That alone should have been enough of a motivation for him.
I believe he is manipulating you and taking advantage of you. I also believe you have done everything that could reasonably be expected of you to help him. Now it is time for you to choose yourself over him. If you keep living like this you will end up exhausted, miserable, lonely and probably more than a little resentful. Not a healthy situation.
 
He will soon find a new woman to take his abuse. Women seem to LOVE that kind of guy. More confusion for his kids. Sad sad sad.
 
The fact of the matter is, you are not this guy’s wife, nor are you the mother of his children. When you made that promise to him, neither of you expected it to be for life (if you did, you would have married). You should not feel guilty about recognizing your own limitations. And even if you do still feel obliged to keep your promise not to abandon him, this does not necessarily translate into specific monetary, transportation, or time support. You could commit to praying a decade of the rosary for him every day, for example. And honestly, this would probably do him more good than play acting wife and putting up with his abusive behavior.

He can buy a reliable old car for $1,000, and frankly, without transportation or babysitting costs, a man ought to be able to save this much in seven months.

Write him a letter explaining that you now find yourself unable to provide for a family of four, and that while your support for him will be on-going, it will now be in the form of a one-month bus pass, the occasional casserole dinner, and daily prayers. Then hug the kids and say good bye.

God bless.
 
Thanks for the advice! I went there on Valentine’s Day after Mass to check on him and grab a few books I’d left at his place, and he only screamed at me for waking him up (at noon!) I was fed up, so I told him that I would no longer be taking him to work or having anything to do with him. I feel badly for him, but I don’t feel troubled, if you know what I mean. I thank God I never fell in love with him or anything like that! He has left several voicemails and texts that are full of curse words, but honestly, that was almost his normal way of speaking so it really doesn’t faze me.

This is the first relationship I’d been in that went so badly. But I see the mistakes I made; unlike nearly all my other relationships, I did not know this guy very long before getting with him, and he has a very dark “vibe” about him, which most people pick up on and therefore avoid him. But he is in the past! I will pray for him, and nothing more. I have learned a lot about what to watch out for, for sure.
 
how old are the kids? you made excuses for his abuse on your part, but are you likewise making excuses for dangerous, or abusive or negligent behavior toward his kids?

do you need to call protective services?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top