Advice on moral dilemma

• Thread starter Thread starter little_flower1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

little_flower1

Two separate questions:
  1. I work in a clinic that uses “tainted” (ie descended from aborted fetal cells) vaccines, of which there ARE ethical alternatives, but my clinic just doesn’t use them. I refuse to prescribe these illicit vaccines and have voiced this to the medical director, who has presented me with two options: a) don’t see any patients where these vaccines would be given, or b) see those patients, but leave the discussion and prescribing of said vaccines for someone else. They do not want “religious talk” in the clinic, so sharing my feelings about the vaccines with the patients is not an option… Are both choices equally viable options for removing me from culpability, or is there a morally superior choice between the two?
  2. Someone I know has a job as a medical coder and they often code for procedures such as IUD placements, and other procedures contrary to the teachings of the Catholic church. Basically, their job is to take medical jargon that doctors write and translate them into billable documents. Is this person committing grave sin by coding (and thus allowing for insurance billing and profiting) for these procedures, or is their participation removed enough from the actual acts that there is no sin?
I’d appreciate any thoughts on these matters!

Two separate questions:
  1. I work in a clinic that uses “tainted” (ie descended from aborted fetal cells) vaccines, of which there ARE ethical alternatives, but my clinic just doesn’t use them. I refuse to prescribe these illicit vaccines and have voiced this to the medical director, who has presented me with two options: a) don’t see any patients where these vaccines would be given, or b) see those patients, but leave the discussion and prescribing of said vaccines for someone else. They do not want “religious talk” in the clinic, so sharing my feelings about the vaccines with the patients is not an option… Are both choices equally viable options for removing me from culpability, or is there a morally superior choice between the two?
  2. Someone I know has a job as a medical coder and they often code for procedures such as IUD placements, and other procedures contrary to the teachings of the Catholic church. Basically, their job is to take medical jargon that doctors write and translate them into billable documents. Is this person committing grave sin by coding (and thus allowing for insurance billing and profiting) for these procedures, or is their participation removed enough from the actual acts that there is no sin?
I’d appreciate any thoughts on these matters!
  1. The church has spoken on this. It would be wise to leave the discussion to someone else.
  2. This person is neither involved in the decision of IVF/IUD nor in the paying for it. They are simply an uninvolved messenger. The best advice would be them to offer a prayer of reparation when processing these claims. Unfortunately, many jobs involve doing things against Catholic morals (like a retail worker needing to sell condoms) and the Catholic church makes allowances for living in a secular world where we regularly encounter tasks which are contrary to Catholicism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back