Afraid to join an eastern parish because I’m Irish Italian descent

• Thread starter Thread starter Jragzz123
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jragzz123

I’ve really been looking into the East for months now! I really wanna go to a Melkite parish in Atlanta but when I look at photos online it seems like it’s a lot of Greek people. I’m a red headed Irish guy so I’m afraid if I go it’ll be frowned upon because Greek isn’t my cultural background. I was wondering if anyone has any advice. Thanks

If you mean “go” as in attend a few Divine Liturgies, then no problem, they don’t care if you’re not Greek. I’ve been to the Melkite church here, I don’t look like the others there either.

If you mean “join the Melkite church” then the priest will likely want to know why you wish to join them and will ask you various questions.

The Melkites are Middle-Eastern.

That being said, I’m German-Irish and belonged to a Melkite parish for several years. The pastor was an Italian who had become Melkite because he fell in love with the tradition.

About 7 years ago my family moved, and now we belong to a Maronite parish. The majority of the folks there are Lebanese, but there is a strong core of non-Lebanese folks who simply love the Maronite tradition.

My advice: Go! enjoy. Ask questions. You may find yourself a new home.

And Middle Eastern culture is very welcoming, so don’t be afraid of not being welcomed.

I’ve really been looking into the East for months now! I really wanna go to a Melkite parish in Atlanta but when I look at photos online it seems like it’s a lot of Greek people. I’m a red headed Irish guy so I’m afraid if I go it’ll be frowned upon because Greek isn’t my cultural background. I was wondering if anyone has any advice. Thanks
I went to a Byzantine (Slovak Carpatho-Rusyn) parish for about a year, and even though I am not visibly “different” from them, I never felt like I quite “fit in”. Many Eastern Rite parishes (I would say almost all of them) have a strong ethnic element to them, and the first question anyone is going to ask is “why are you here instead of the Latin Rite parish?”. I would not go so far as to say that you will be unwelcome — you most certainly are welcome — but unless you’re a part of the dominant ethnic group, and from the same cultural background, it just feels kind of strange.

I would say that in some Eastern Rite parishes, there is an understanding that some Latin Rite Catholics will prefer to attend them because of perceived issues with the Novus Ordo (I said “perceived issues”, I didn’t say invalidity or illicitness).

I don’t think you would have a problem…you’re there to worship God…just as they are…I would hope they would welcome you

I think it will go much better than you think!
We went to a parish where everyone was from Egypt. I was blond and stood out and it was great! Got the royal treatment for being a visitor.

I’m Spanish on my moms side (she’s from Cuba) and my dad is Welsh-German decent. I’m Greek Orthodox. I’ve heard wonderful things about the Melkite community in Atlanta. Attend Divine Liturgy and go to their fellowship hour afterwards. You will be welcomed with open arms I’m sure.

If you decide to attend more frequently speak with the priest so that he can set you on the right path (as far as Eastern practice is concerned). The Lenten season is a beautiful time with many liturgical celebrations going on.

ZP

40.png
Jragzz123:
I went to a Byzantine (Slovak Carpatho-Rusyn) parish for about a year, and even though I am not visibly “different” from them, I never felt like I quite “fit in”. Many Eastern Rite parishes (I would say almost all of them) have a strong ethnic element to them, and the first question anyone is going to ask is “why are you here instead of the Latin Rite parish?”. I would not go so far as to say that you will be unwelcome — you most certainly are welcome — but unless you’re a part of the dominant ethnic group, and from the same cultural background, it just feels kind of strange.

I would say that in some Eastern Rite parishes, there is an understanding that some Latin Rite Catholics will prefer to attend them because of perceived issues with the Novus Ordo (I said “perceived issues”, I didn’t say invalidity or illicitness).
This is definitely the experience of many people coming into our churches for the first time. It was the experience of my parents when they first visited a Ruthenian parish in the late 1960s. They certainly weren’t unwelcome, but they were asked where their parents/grandparents were from, with sort of a puzzled “Why are you here?” These days, we have a Slovak priest, we love our pirohy, and we have the occasional slavonic sprinkled in, but there is little trace of ethnic groups in our Parish. That is true for most our parishes in the west. Our liturgies are definitely served according to the Slavic traditions.

We do ask visitors what brought them to our parish and we do bristle a bit if it seems that they are simply running away from something, rather than being motivated by a genuine interest an our rite, but ethnicity doesn’t come up unless they mention it.

I have no doubt that there are places where it still matters, but not in most of the parishes in the Eparchy of Phoenix.

Last edited:
As others have said, Melkites are of Middle Eastern background. They are well known for their hospitality and their food can’t be beat. While you might not feel you fit in, you will be welcomed.

I have a good friend who is at the Melkite parish in Augusta. If you would like to make a connection with him first and then consider traveling to Augusta for your first visit to a Melkite church, I would be happy to facilitate that. Also, I think @adamhovey1988 sometimes attends the parish in Augusta. He might know someone in the Atlanta parish. I know they are two hours apart, but the world of Eastern Catholicism can be small.

Last edited:
I was just on the website for St John chrysostom in Atlanta. They have a picture of the churching of someone with the last name of Kearney. You’d have some good Irish company.

They certainly weren’t unwelcome, but they were asked where their parents/grandparents were from, with sort of a puzzled “Why are you here?” These days, we have a Slovak priest, we love our pirohy, and we have the occasional slavonic sprinkled in, but there is little trace of ethnic groups in our Parish. That is true for most our parishes in the west. Our liturgies are definitely served according to the Slavic traditions.

We do ask visitors what brought them to our parish and we do bristle a bit if it seems that they are simply running away from something, rather than being motivated by a genuine interest an our rite, but ethnicity doesn’t come up unless they mention it.
Yeah, the question about family background is one that I would expect to come up if someone who looked ethnically diverse from the group showed up. Where I come from, the Eastern churches are still pretty heavily ethnic. It would not be asked so much in a “you don’t belong here” sort of way, but more in a “how did you get interested in our church rather than the other Catholic churches in the area” sort of way. If you say your grandma is Slav or Greek, or you lived in a Slavic country and developed an interest in the culture, then no problem. If you say you don’t have any background but don’t like Pope Francis or the Novus Ordo, then problem.

I attended a Greek Orthodox parish in Falls Church, VA (St. Catherine’s) from time to time where I was always made to feel very welcome… even as a Catholic! I remember attending Vespers for the feast of their patroness. Afterwards they had a huge dinner where all the Greek women tried to “force” more food down my throat than any one person should ever eat at once, and then tried to get me to take some home to my wife. It was a wonderful and very amusing experience.

40.png
babochka:
They certainly weren’t unwelcome, but they were asked where their parents/grandparents were from, with sort of a puzzled “Why are you here?” These days, we have a Slovak priest, we love our pirohy, and we have the occasional slavonic sprinkled in, but there is little trace of ethnic groups in our Parish. That is true for most our parishes in the west. Our liturgies are definitely served according to the Slavic traditions.

Yeah, the question about family background is one that I would expect to come up if someone who looked ethnically diverse from the group showed up. Where I come from, the Eastern churches are still pretty heavily ethnic. It would not be asked so much in a “you don’t belong here” sort of way, but more in a “how did you get interested in our church rather than the other Catholic churches in the area” sort of way. If you say your grandma is Slav or Greek, or you lived in a Slavic country and developed an interest in the culture, then no problem. If you say you don’t have any background but don’t like Pope Francis or the Novus Ordo, then problem.
Exactly.

When my parents first started attending (before I was born), my mom got tired of the questions and started telling people that my dad’s grandfather was from Hungary. While this is true, they were ethnic Germans who spoke German and lived in a German-speaking town. Definitely Latin Rite.

In my parish, you’ll get questions about where you’re from, but it more to determine your familiarity with the Rite.

If they don’t accept you - they’re being disobedient to Christ

so… just go…

_

These days, we have a Slovak priest, we love our pirohy, and we have the occasional slavonic sprinkled in, but there is little trace of ethnic groups in our Parish. That is true for most our parishes in the west. Our liturgies are definitely served according to the Slavic traditions.
During my year in virtual Ruthenia by way of Pittsburgh diaspora (it wasn’t in Pittsburgh but I’m assuming many parishioners were), I picked up some of the Old Church Slavonic (mnohaja l’ita!) and I warred with a BCR coworker whether they were pirohi or pierogi, but I never really assimilated. I have adopted some Polish ways and language due to marriage but have no known Slavic blood.
I have a good friend who is at the Melkite parish in Augusta. If you would like to make a connection with him first and then consider traveling to Augusta for your first visit to a Melkite church, I would be happy to facilitate that. Also, I think @adamhovey1988 sometimes attends the parish in Augusta. He might know someone in the Atlanta parish. I know they are two hours apart, but the world of Eastern Catholicism can be small.
I traveled to that parish two or three times over 20 years ago when Fr Munn (memory eternal!) was the pastor. Very nice parish.
Yeah, the question about family background is one that I would expect to come up if someone who looked ethnically diverse from the group showed up. Where I come from, the Eastern churches are still pretty heavily ethnic. It would not be asked so much in a “you don’t belong here” sort of way, but more in a “how did you get interested in our church rather than the other Catholic churches in the area” sort of way.
That is precisely what I encountered. As I said, I didn’t stand out ethnically.
I would say it is Syrians and Lebanese you are encountering, not Greek. All have very handsome Mediterranean features, but there are very few Greek Hellenic Rite Catholics — almost all Greeks are Orthodox. Syrians and Lebanese pretty much split between being some rite of Catholic and being Orthodox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back