P
Phemie
Guest
I’m Canadian and I say Ah-men, but then I’m a Francophone Canadian and that the natural sound of A for me.I say Ay-men, but I’m Canadian, so I naturally say “ay” with other words as well.
I’m Canadian and I say Ah-men, but then I’m a Francophone Canadian and that the natural sound of A for me.I say Ay-men, but I’m Canadian, so I naturally say “ay” with other words as well.
Its “ah-men”
It came from the Aramaic, “ah-meen”
youtube.com/watch?v=rn6w255CGkk
I cringe when I hear the ay-men pronounciation. That came from an American musical movie I believe and seemed to stick, unfortunately.
I don’t know where “ey-men” came from but it’s my belief (and I can’t substantiate it) that it has been used by English speaking Catholics for at least a couple hundred years now. Obviously that would be for personal devotions since Mass was in Latin until recently.Not sure if “ey-men” came from Protestants of Anglicans, but surely its not from the Catholic or Orthodox Church. Yes, its “ah-men” in Latin, “ah-men” in Tagalog, “ah-meen” in Ukrainian, “ah-meen” in Aramaic.
I know its a misconception in the Philippines that its “ey-men” when its English as if its the English way to pronounce it. Then its “a-men” when its in Filipino.
I cringe when I hear the ay-men pronounciation. That came from an American musical movie I believe and seemed to stick, unfortunately.