American Idolatry-Spengler Calling Americans Stupid

  • Thread starter Thread starter MugenOne
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with much of this article. The state of American music is abysmal (writing too). I also agree with his sentiment that the current American culture aspires to mediocrity; I have seen it time and time again in my classroom.

I am sure I’m guilty of it myself.
 
I agree with much of this article. The state of American music is abysmal (writing too). I also agree with his sentiment that the current American culture aspires to mediocrity; I have seen it time and time again in my classroom.

I am sure I’m guilty of it myself.
DUDES!..Surely you’re not suggesting that there is no such thing as …I mean…WHA…:confused: Oh, wait
Yes The state of music in general…American?
yeah, I hear a lot of crud out there.

And who is to say that the complexities and beaty of Mozart and Bach and Beethoven Have been relagated to antiquity!!!

I bet there is a 13 year old out there reading what you just wrote who thinks tha Toby Mac and 1000ft Crutch are the “frishizzle”
The instruments have changed,cultures change.

:mad: However, If you are saying there are no real LOVE songs anymore,…just blatant sinful sex songs…:mad:
THEN I AGREE !!!
 
I’m a European but America has produced/is producing a considerable list of very memorable composers of serious music - one only has to think of people like Steve Reich, Terry Riley, John Adams and John Cage amongst the ‘moderns’, for example.
 
Spengler says Americans stupid listening to the repetition of three chords does not exercise the mind after the fashion of Mozart, to be sure, but that is not the main reason that stupidity attends the culture of resentment.

atimes.com/atimes/Front_Page/HH29Aa01.html
I agree with much of this article. The state of American music is abysmal (writing too). I also agree with his sentiment that the current American culture aspires to mediocrity; I have seen it time and time again in my classroom.

I am sure I’m guilty of it myself.
Even modern Classical Music is manure.

The last concert I went to at the DSO had the premier of a newly written piece by a “composer” who won a contest by the DSO. I have only heard one piece worse and many others thought it was the worse they ever heard. The only thing saving the concert was that Beethoven’s 9th was the closing piece.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top