"...and when he said this, he fell asleep."

  • Thread starter Thread starter CMBlaise
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CMBlaise

Guest
Not too long ago, the account of St. Stephen’s martyrdom was read in Daily Mass:

[BIBLEDRB]Acts 7:59[/BIBLEDRB]

The presiding priest – a really awesome Biblical scholar who taught in a pontifical university in Rome – gave a great homily. He focused on the phrase “fell asleep in the Lord”, explaining that it is not a cutesy euphemism for death, but is Luke’s attempt to be faithful to the belief that all Christians can die only one death, that is their death with Christ in baptism, and so to say that Stephen was killed by stoning would be a lie.

I’ve never heard this explanation of this wording before, though I know the phrasing is fairly common in the New Testament, especially in the epistles. Does anyone know of more exegesis about this? I’d like to read it!
 
From what a know, it’s basically a Hebraism used to express a hope in a future resurrection. I came across this issue a lot while studying Bible translation differences. Just one of those little concrete images that helps get across a higher level of meaning, kind of like “He maketh me to lie down in green pastures”. Baa. 😛

Oh, and there’s a passage in the OT about David falling asleep with his fathers or something.

Here it is:

[BIBLEDRB] 3 Kings 2:10 [/BIBLEDRB]
 
I noticed that, in the synoptics, the official Jairus’ daughter is referred to by Jesus as “sleeping” (e.g. Mark 5:39). And Lazarus in John 11:11 is said to be “sleeping”, although when the Apostles show their confusion Jesus clarifies “Lazarus has died” in John 11:14.

But I agree with your priest and his homily, and I have always found comfort in hearing Stephen to be “sleeping”.
 
An Exposition of the Orthodox Faith (Book IV) by John of Damascus, chapter 15, written in the 8th century, has a little more insight on this I think. He talks about the honor due to the Saints and how they are alive, not dead.

newadvent.org/fathers/33044.htm

So he is correct that they would call it ‘sleep’ instead of death, because while their body had no life in it, they were indeed alive and waiting for the resurrection.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top