F
Feram_Crucis
Guest
Early this year, my sister, a friend of ours and I sat down every night to read the Pentateuch (The first five books of the Old Testament), in order. We noted how singificant the animal sacrifice rituals were for ancient Hebrews: God would give very detailed instructions on how to slaughter the different animals, what parts were to be burned, how the blood had to be poured and smeared around the altar and the priest’s clothes, etc.
So my question is: Why did God want to have animals sacrificed to Him? I read so many times in the Old Testament how the smell of burning meat was most pleasant to God, and I’m really curious to know why. Is there anything sacred about the blood of sheep and pigeons? What about grease and organs? Did it stop being sacred after Jesus came to the world?
So my question is: Why did God want to have animals sacrificed to Him? I read so many times in the Old Testament how the smell of burning meat was most pleasant to God, and I’m really curious to know why. Is there anything sacred about the blood of sheep and pigeons? What about grease and organs? Did it stop being sacred after Jesus came to the world?