M
MollyBergin
Guest
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help with a question I have?
I am currently going through a divorce. I would like to seek an annulment when this process is over purely for my own peace of mind, however my ex has informed me that I have no chance of being granted one.
The circumstances are that while we were engaged, I always had a sense that something wasn’t just right about my ex and that he wasn’t being entirely honest with me - a number of weeks before our wedding, I discovered that half of the money had been taken from a joint wedding fund account. At the time, he told me he had gambled it, but that it had been a silly one-off mistake which wouldn’t happen again. Despite being very shocked and gutted that he could act so selfishly, I went ahead with the wedding as I had no reason to suspect that his excuse was not genuine as nothing of this kind had happened previously - I never even saw a gambling slip in our home.
His selfishness and uncaring actions escalated after our marriage and I didn’t know what was wrong until we had been married for a year. At that point, it became clear that my ex had a serious gambling problem which he had been hiding for a lengthy period (this came to light following accusations that he had stolen a substantial sum from an employer to fund his habit; and an attempt to take his own life). We remained married for another four years before separating due to the fallout of his actions - unfortunately, although he stated he had stopped gambling some time previously, he retained a gambler’s personality and was consistently selfish and untruthful in his actions.
I don’t know whether I would have grounds for an annulment as my ex claims that I should have known before we married that he had a gambling habit!
I am currently going through a divorce. I would like to seek an annulment when this process is over purely for my own peace of mind, however my ex has informed me that I have no chance of being granted one.
The circumstances are that while we were engaged, I always had a sense that something wasn’t just right about my ex and that he wasn’t being entirely honest with me - a number of weeks before our wedding, I discovered that half of the money had been taken from a joint wedding fund account. At the time, he told me he had gambled it, but that it had been a silly one-off mistake which wouldn’t happen again. Despite being very shocked and gutted that he could act so selfishly, I went ahead with the wedding as I had no reason to suspect that his excuse was not genuine as nothing of this kind had happened previously - I never even saw a gambling slip in our home.
His selfishness and uncaring actions escalated after our marriage and I didn’t know what was wrong until we had been married for a year. At that point, it became clear that my ex had a serious gambling problem which he had been hiding for a lengthy period (this came to light following accusations that he had stolen a substantial sum from an employer to fund his habit; and an attempt to take his own life). We remained married for another four years before separating due to the fallout of his actions - unfortunately, although he stated he had stopped gambling some time previously, he retained a gambler’s personality and was consistently selfish and untruthful in his actions.
I don’t know whether I would have grounds for an annulment as my ex claims that I should have known before we married that he had a gambling habit!