Annulment questions for a friend

• Thread starter Thread starter Doc1776
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doc1776

Hello everyone, I’ve got a question. Recently a friend of mine approached me with a question regarding an annulment. Here are is some info as I understand it. She is a Protestant considering joining the Catholic Church and marrying a catholic. Her and her ex-husband were civilly married. She was married to her now ex-husband for about 7 years. Her ex husband had been married and divorced prior to their marriage. There also appears to be a long history of infidelity in both of his marriages, as well as children outside of those marriages. Her question is whether or not an annulment would be likely or not.
Any help or advise from y’all would be appreciated and passed on to her.

Her question is whether or not an annulment would be likely or not.
No one here can make such an assessment. The best course of action is for your friend to sit down with the pastor of the local Catholic Church and lay out all the facts.

There may be several different avenues to pursue, depending on the types of proofs that are available. Because her ex was married before, it’s possible that instead of an annulment case she could have what is called a Ligamen case (prior bond impediment). But that does require some proofs. And the baptismal status of the ex along with the history of the ex’s spouse are both relevant in a Ligamen case.

It might be necessary to look at a petition for nullity, and it also might be possible to petition for a dissolution of the natural bond in favor of the faith of the ex was not baptized.

This is not something that can be answered on the Internet. It’s going to take an examination of the facts.

There may be several different avenues to pursue, depending on the types of proofs that are available. Because her ex was married before, it’s possible that instead of an annulment case she could have what is called a Ligamen case (prior bond impediment). But that does require some proofs. And the baptismal status of the ex along with the history of the ex’s spouse are both relevant in a Ligamen case.
Would one of her exes previous marriages need to be confirmed to be valid for prior bond to apply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back