Another commentary on new encyclical: God is Love - Fr. Thomas Williams Interview

• Thread starter Thread starter BarbaraTherese
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BarbaraTherese

Benedict XVI’s Surprising Encyclical
Interview With Father Thomas Williams, Theology Dean

zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=83417
I am preceding posting by doing a seach, and I apologize if this article may have appeared elsewhere.
Portion only of text…
Q: What do you mean by “getting love right”?
Father Williams: Love has many different meanings and is easily cheapened and spoiled.

As Benedict acknowledges early on in his letter, we speak of love of country, love of one’s profession, love between friends, love of work, love between parents and children, love between family members, love of neighbor and love of God.

Moreover, people often associate love with mere feelings that come and go, or with selfishness and desire.

Love=actively and selflessly to will the good of the other.

40.png
tjmiller:
Love=actively and selflessly to will the good of the other.
Hi there TJMiller…what beautiful insight and very conscisely! Thank you!

…and hi to you too KCT! I am sure you will find the enclyclical rewarding on many levels…I came away from it awestruck and look forward to a more down to earth read the second time. Commentaries on it can add insights too. But I bet the critics will be out there with something or other to say (can’t see how!)and often I think for the sake simply of being critical…hence not positive criticism! Altho the whole encyclical completely bowled me over!
I think “God is Love” will be much quoted and esteemed long after I am gone. Beautiful and inspiriing…motivating to my mind! I am sure that it will lead to many deeper insights into our vocation and call which is as TJM pointed out to love, which equals to actively and selflessly will the good of the other.

Peace…Barb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back