Another Divine Mercy Sunday question

  • Thread starter Thread starter TravisandJill
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TravisandJill

Guest
Can anyone tell me if confession on this day was required if a person was already in a state of grace from a confession a few weeks prior? I’m not talking about for the plenary indulgence but only the promise
 
Confession can be don as many times as you want. It is a sacrament where we receive grace from God. In this sacrament, we not only ask pardon for our sins but we may also ask for spiritual direction or talk to the priest about what is going on with our lives…
 
Can anyone tell me if confession on this day was required if a person was already in a state of grace from a confession a few weeks prior? I’m not talking about for the plenary indulgence but only the promise
If your last Confession was ‘weeks’ ago, then you should go again ASAP. To receive the Indulgence. God Bless, Memaw
 
It’s an often debated point. Dr. Robert Stackpole, Std. is widely known by many as a scholar in the Divine Mercy Devotion. He says this:

The special graces that our Lord promised for Mercy Sunday come solely through the reception of Holy Communion on that day, in a state of grace, with trust in The Divine Mercy. Any plenary indulgence granted by the Church, on the other hand, involves the fulfilment of a number of conditions, including prayer for the pope’s intentions, confession and Holy Eucharist, and the carrying out of the special indulgenced work (in this case: participating in public devotions to The Divine Mercy on Mercy Sunday itself).

thedivinemercy.org/news/story.php?NID=2485
 
Thanks everyone, again I am not referring to the plenary indulgence granted by the Church. I’m talking about the promise with only 2 conditions (confession and communion) and how far in advance the confession can count towards the promise if already in a state of grace
 
It’s an often debated point. … He says this:

***The special graces that our Lord promised for Mercy Sunday come solely through the reception of Holy Communion on that day, in a state of grace, with trust in The Divine Mercy. ***

The Private Revelation refers to Confession and Holy Communion on that day.
.
Though for practical purposes the confession can take place prior to the Feast (I am not here getting into how much prior).

And yes trustfulness is an essential part of the devotion.

“Therefore the most important grace attached to the Feast is the promise of complete forgiveness of sin and punishment, directed at all who confess their sins and receive Holy Communion on that day”…“For practical reasons, confession may take place before the Feast…But the Holy Communion must be received on this day…”

“Saint Faustine and the Divine Mercy” - Fr. (Dr) Andrew Witko (Krakow) 2003
Divine Mercy Publications (there is an English earlier edition too and in Polish of course). Professor at the Pontifical University of Pope John Paul II in Krakow et al

He is an expert on Saint Faustina and the Divine Mercy Private Revelation and was asked personally by St. Pope John Paul II whom he met with at various times - to write on his book (now books).
 
I went to confession on Friday, two days before D.M.S.

Only further thing… I’ll quote is #699 of the Diary. I don’t think more detail really is given elsewhere in the Diary as concerns timing:

My daughter, tell the whole world about My inconceivable mercy. I desire that the Feast of Mercy be a refuge and shelter for all souls, and especially for poor sinners. On that day the very depths of My tender mercy are open. I pour out a whole ocean of graces upon those souls who approach the fount of My mercy. The soul that will go to Confession and receive Holy Communion shall obtain complete forgiveness of sins and punishment. On that day all the divine floodgates through which graces flow are opened. Let no soul fear to draw near to Me, even though its sins be as scarlet. My mercy is so great that no mind, be it of man or of angel, will be able to fathom it throughout all eternity. Everything that exists has come forth from the very depths of My most tender mercy. Every soul in its relation to Me will contemplate My love and mercy throughout eternity. The Feast of Mercy emerged from My very depths of tenderness. It is My desire that it be solemnly celebrated on the first Sunday after Easter. Mankind will not have peace until it turns to the Fount of My Mercy.
 
I went to confession on Friday, two days before D.M.S.

Only further thing… I’ll quote is #699 of the Diary. I don’t think more detail really is given elsewhere in the Diary as concerns timing:
“…that will go to confession and receive Holy Communion on the Feast of My Mercy” (April 1937) (quoted in the above book).

As Fr. Witko noted above for practical reasons one can go before the Feast for Confession but the Holy Communion is to be on the Feast.
 
The Private Revelation refers to Confession and Holy Communion on that day.
.
Though for practical purposes the confession can take place prior to the Feast (I am not here getting into how much prior).

And yes trustfulness is an essential part of the devotion.

“Therefore the most important grace attached to the Feast is the promise of complete forgiveness of sin and punishment, directed at all who confess their sins and receive Holy Communion on that day”…“For practical reasons, confession may take place before the Feast…But the Holy Communion must be received on this day…”

“Saint Faustine and the Divine Mercy” - Fr. (Dr) Andrew Witko (Krakow) 2003
Divine Mercy Publications (there is an English earlier edition too and in Polish of course). Professor at the Pontifical University of Pope John Paul II in Krakow et al

He is an expert on Saint Faustina and the Divine Mercy Private Revelation and was asked personally by St. Pope John Paul II whom he met with at various times - to write on his book (now books).
PS: the Preface of the book is from then Bishop Stanislaw Dziwisz Prefect of the Papal Household and Personal Secretary to Pope John Paul II
 
Well I had been to confession 2 weeks ago and was in the state of grace for Mercy Sunday so I hope that was good enough
 
**Trust ** in Jesus. 🙂

The most critical thing about confession and receiving communion, as always, is that we be certain that we are in a state of Grace.
 
I sincerely WANT to trust in Jesus. But sometimes things like this get so very complicated I’m tempted to walk away from it all
 
I sincerely WANT to trust in Jesus. But sometimes things like this get so very complicated I’m tempted to walk away from it all
That temptation is from the enemy.

Why don’t you read a few passages of the diary each day? It’s one of my favorite spiritual books.

I think what helps me the most in my spiritual life is receiving the Eucharist as often as possible and spending time in Adoration as often as possible.

God Bless!!
 
I have read also that the Cardinal Archbishop of Krakow noted that Confession during Lent would suffice for the confession (for the promise) (and of course no mortal sin since).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top