Another question regarding Christian Prayer

  • Thread starter Thread starter AJB328
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AJB328

Guest
So I thought I just learned to use my Christian Prayer, but when I got to the end of Sunday Evening Prayer II, after the Our Father is says in red: Prayer, as in the Proper of Seasons.

The problem I have it that when I go to proper of seasons there are no prayers for Evening (only the antiphon for the Canticle of Mary) and the two prayers given for the morning don’t match the one divineoffice.org used.

So when they say “prayer, as in proper of seasons.” what are they talking about.

This is very frustrating and any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

AJ
 
The concluding prayer (and/or alternate prayer) are used in all 3 offices (Evening Prayer 1 and 2 and Morning Prayer). They only print it once to keep the volume manageable.

I have a book suggestion for you: The Divine Office for Dodos. This is a good book to learn the office and it covers the use of both the one-volume Christian Prayer and the 4 Volume LOTH set.

I referenced the answer to your question from page 84 of the book in case you have a copy already.🙂
 
Thank you very much for your response, however it doesn’t seem to have helped.

In the proper of seasons it gives and antiphon which always matches the antiphon used by divineoffice.org and universalis.com.

However the prayers listed for that day under morning prayer and its alternate never match up, in fact, divine office.org and universalis don’t agree.

ex.

Divineoffice.org-

O God,
who teach us that you abide
in hearts that are just and true,
grant that we may be so fashioned
by your grace as to become a dwelling pleasing to you.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.
– Amen.

Universalis.com-

To those who love you, Lord,
you promise to come with your Son
and make your home within them.
Come, then, with your purifying grace
and make our hearts a place where you can dwell.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.

My Copy of Christian Prayer-

God our Father,
you have promised to remain for ever
with those who do what is just and right.
Help us to live in your presence.

We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.

(alterante prayer)

Father in Heaven,
the loving plan of your wisdom took flesh in Jesus
Christ
and changed mankind’s history
May our fulfillment of his command reflect your wisdom
and bring your salvation to the ends of the earth.
We ask this through Christ our Lord

I also checked the preceding and proceeding Sundays to see if I skipped over something or made a mistake and they’re all different prayers. And again, the antiphon matches up word for word. I’m sure I’m over looking something really simple but the fact that the two websites don’t even agree makes it all the more frustrating.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as it is increasingly frustrating.

Thanks,

AJ
 
My Copy of Christian Prayer-

God our Father,
you have promised to remain for ever
with those who do what is just and right.
Help us to live in your presence.

We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.
This is the correct concluding prayer for Evening Prayers I and II of the Sixth Sunday of Ordinary Time, as per Volume III of the Liturgy of the Hours.

Wherever those websites are getting their prayers from, you’re definitely on the right track with your Christian Prayer book. 👍

Incidentally, if you want a good website to double check with, I recommend ibreviary.org/en/tools/ibreviary-web.html
 
I think that Universalis is different because they have to deal with a copyright issue.

I think Divine Office is using a newer version of the prayer, the prayer used in the mass of the day, rather than that in the current issues of Divine Office. It doesn’t match my 1975 Divine Office set.

Don’t let minor differences distract you. It is more important to focus on your praying than on the details of printings.
 
Thank you both for the help. I thought (but I guess I was mistaken) that iBreviary used divine office.org. I use the iBreviary app to check myself and on the app it didn’t give me a prayer that matched my copy, however on the webpage (your link) it gave two options with the one in my book being one of them.

I know I’m over thinking it, but it makes me wonder where they’re getting some of these prayers.

Thanks again for the help.
 
Divineoffice.org is using the “new” mass translation. This is perfectly legitimate; in fact, the USCCB Liturgy Committee actually suggested doing this.
 
Divine Office has official status and permission from ICEL to use the official translations found in the four-volume Liturgy of the Hours as well as the new English translations found in the Roman Missal.

If you wish to pray the LOTH with the Church as liturgy, use Divine Office or purchase the books. Using alternative translations downgrades this prayer action to that of a personal devotion. Also, you will find that the calendars for iBreviary and Universalis do not always match the calendar for the United States.

Praying the Divine Office This Lent
 
Elizium,

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I was wondering if you knew whether “Christian Prayer” and the four volume set are the same for morning and evening prayer. I was under the impression that they were and divineoffice gives the page numbers for both the one and four volume set and I believe they’re published by the same company.

AJ
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top