Any Benedictine Oblates Out There?

• Thread starter Thread starter IanS
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

IanS

I am considering becoming an Oblate Novice in February at a Benedictine Priory in our town. I was just wondering if anyone here is an Oblate and if so has it helped you to grow spiritually and are there any other pros and cons to being one? Thanks.

I am considering becoming an Oblate Novice in February at a Benedictine Priory in our town. I was just wondering if anyone here is an Oblate and if so has it helped you to grow spiritually and are there any other pros and cons to being one? Thanks.
I am not one personally, but my father is.

Have you found out details from the Priory? My father attend meetings, dicussions and is in regular contact with one of the monks. It’s certainly helped him.

There aren’t really any cons that come to mind. I would thoroughly recommend it.

there are several of us here, do a search, if the threads did not get erased in the crash you should find us on the spirituality forum. Not really a topic for vocations, as oblates keep their vocation and state in life, married or single, and strive to live the Holy Rule in that state. We do not become novices but we do spend a year in formation before making our final oblation. We commit to daily prayer consisting of the Liturgy of the Hours and regular practice of lectio divina, to conforming our lives to the Rule inasmuch as possible. There are many good books by oblates on how to achieve that goal, and we read and discuss such books at our monthly meetings. We also support the nuns or monks in their work and mission. Here that is evangelization and pro-life advocacy.

there are several of us here, do a search, if the threads did not get erased in the crash you should find us on the spirituality forum. Not really a topic for vocations, as oblates keep their vocation and state in life, married or single, and strive to live the Holy Rule in that state. We do not become novices but we do spend a year in formation before making our final oblation. We commit to daily prayer consisting of the Liturgy of the Hours and regular practice of lectio divina, to conforming our lives to the Rule inasmuch as possible. There are many good books by oblates on how to achieve that goal, and we read and discuss such books at our monthly meetings. We also support the nuns or monks in their work and mission. Here that is evangelization and pro-life advocacy.
I wasn’t quite sure where to put this thread but this is where it ended up. Perhaps I should move to “Spirituality”. I know with the priory in my town you do make some promises and become a Novice. After that, you spend the next year in discernment and study the Holy Rule and other readings. It is after that you make your promises as a Oblate.

I do currently commit to Mass about five times a week and spend a Holy Hour before the Blessed Sacrament each week. When I can I go to the Basilica where the Benedictines celebrate Mass and pray the Office before hand. I would also like to begin praying the Divine Office more but I can get pretty lost.

I guess I just feel as though I need some discipline and solid direction in my spiritual life. I’m currently in Knights of Columbus, which is a great organization that does a lot of good, but it doesn’t do much for my prayer life or force me to grow spiritually. I’m also in a Little Rock scripture study which helps me to gain knowledge but again doesn’t do much for my prayer life or force me to grow spiritually. So I guess I just want to know if being an Oblate would help me to achieve that.

I’m sure becoming an oblate would certainly help your spiritual life, and I think you should. 🙂

Do you have a good confessor? Do you have a group of Catholic friends, perhaps at the Basilica, whom you meet regularly?

If you haven’t read these two books already, I’d recommend them. They are both simple and practical advice, and are bound to make you an instant Saint! 👍

Imitation of Christ by Thomas Kemp

Introduction to the Devout Life by Saint Francis de Sales

some good books, not the only ones, that describe the Oblate life
A Life-giving Way by Esther DeWaal
The Benedictine Handbook
St. Benedict’s toolbox (Tomaine)
Benedict in the World: Portrait of Benedictine Oblates (Kulzer & Bondi eds)
Saint Benedict: A Rule for Beginners (Julian Stead OSB)

from guidelines for Oblates of St Benedict, pamphlet prepared by directors of Oblates convening at St. Procopius Abbey in Ill. there is a preamble and constitution, guidelines include:
a, Oblates strive to be loyal and active members of Christ and his church.
b. Oblates strive for their own continued Christian renewal and improvement
c. Oblates strive to be men and women of practical spirituality
d. Oblates strive to be men and women of prayer.
e. Oblates strive to be men and women of Christian virtue
f. Oblates foster a spirit of community
g. Oblates are men and women of peace

I’m an Oblate candidate, although I’m not sure if I can help you much. :o

I also am interested in becoming a Benedictine Oblate but there are no Benedictines in my area. I have no idea how to become one or if you can without regular contact with members of the order. Anyone have any information that could be helpful? How does one seek to become an Oblate.

The calling/urging to become one will not die.

I am a Benedictine Oblate, as well.

Pros? Plenty. Though not many in number, we are very strong in our prayers together, holding each other up and encouraging one another. For myself, the Daily Office and the Benedictine Rule readings have led me into a much deeper and more fulfilling relationship with Jesus, my Lord and Savior. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Cons? Absolutely none, save for the three hour drive each way that I need to do to attend our monthly meeting. But though the trip seems long while going there, the return trip is wonderful, for my soul is on fire and there is a great joy in my heart for having attended.

By all means, do it! You will not regret it.

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful comments and suggestions. I will have to do a lot of praying and discernment, because this is not something I want to take lightly. However, it does seem like it may be the next logical step for me.

I have a friend who is a Benedictine Oblate. I attend daily Mass with the Benedictine Monks of the Saint Louis Abbey. I absolutely love it there. I also enjoy the Divine Office; however, I haven’t been going to Vespers as frequently as I used to. Are any of you in a Lectio Group?
  • Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back